Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nissan NP35 GTP "IMSA"

Brendan

Started work on this kit from Studio 27. It is a very nicely casted model. Only downside is there is a lot of white metal and parts to be filled in for this version of the car. This car doesn't have a racing history. The actual car only raced once in Japan and was only tested here in the U.S. Car had a lot of promise except for its lack of horse power. The car was designed to be run with a 3.5L V-12 normally aspirated. In most opinions the car would have been better if had run with the twin-turboed V-6. Studio 27 has actually incorrectly named this car. It should be the P35.

The paint scheme I'm going to be doing will be an overall blue with white top and red and white chevrons on the side. Scale Finishes has helped me out by matchng the correct blue for me.

Body has been primed and sanded but I do see issues where I'll have to fill in areas since there are some small pin holes. And I need to add a little more filler to the back of the car. The white metal add ons to the rear fenders had a very large gap that I had to fill as well as the side intakes.

NissanNP35IMSA001.jpg

NissanNP35IMSA002.jpg

NissanNP35IMSA003.jpg

NissanNP35IMSA004.jpg

Chassis is pretty much complete. Not a whole lot to the interior. Although I did have to drill larger holes into the chassis to fit the wheels correctly.

NissanNP35IMSA007.jpg

NissanNP35IMSA008-1.jpg

NissanNP35IMSA005.jpg

Edited by Brendan

Got the putty on and resanded. So all the pin holes are gone now. I haven't had to use this much filler since I did the Jaguar GTP. One thing I don't like about this company is that you have to do so much modification to make it the right version. Still need to spray the white primer down so I can get a white color coat down. And that should happen in the next couple of days.

Also got the dashboard together. All the pieces here are all white metal. It would have been a little better if they would have cast it in resin.

NissanNP35IMSA009.jpg

Ended up using a little more putty on the back to get everything to be level.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Yes, the car is definitely different. The Mulsanne's Corner has a good interview with Johnny O'Connor who is talking about testing the car. Here's some links to Mulsanne's Corner. If you click on the pictures, they'll get you to more information.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/nissanp35.html

O'Connor's Interview

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/nissanp35oconnell.html

Thanks to Scale Finishes, he was able to match the blue for me. Got the body taped up. Took me a little while to do.

001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

Blue sprayed on and tape waiting to come off.

006-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

Had a little bleed through on the blue in a few spots but not too bad.

008-1.jpg

009.jpg

Wings painted with Tamiya TS-8 (airbrushed).

003-2.jpg

Next step is to clear and get on the decals. The decals should go rather quickly since I think there's only 8 to put on.

Started to get on the decals. Wasn't a whole lot of decals but they were a pain to put on. the issue I ran into is the decals were extremely thick and not wanting to settle around curves.

Had some small issues with the Nissan decal on the rear wing since the white started flaking off. It was like the ink didn't set properly to the film when they made them. Used some Tamiya Acrylic White to touch it up.

001-2.jpg

The side chevron decals took me about 3 hours to lay one down. Used a lot of decal solvent and setting solution to get it to lay down properly.

002-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-3.jpg

The one thing I was worried about happened But it's not very noticeable. When I painted the rear wings, they matched the red in the decal. But when I put the decal onto the model, it doesn't match any more. And I had already put the decals onto the wing before I noticed it. It's not a big difference, but it's enough to bug me.

005-3.jpg

All the decals on and awaiting a clear coat.

Copy1of001.jpg

Copy1of002.jpg

Still need to paint the headlight buckets and attach some small marker lights onto the roof. And then it should be done.

Thanks for everyone's comments. The kit should be complete and in the Underglass Section in the next couple of days.

Rear wing together. Took me quite a long time to actually get it together since the smaller wing element needed to be moved from where the pins were. But it turned out nice in the end.

Copy2of002.jpg

Copy2of001.jpg

Body fits really nicely to the chassis. Tight fit with the front wheels though. Had to shave down the sides of the air intake a little to get it to fit to the body (paint buildup).

001-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

004-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

006-3.jpg

Thanks for following along. Probably will be starting on an Aston Martin Lola in the next couple of weeks. It should be fun.