Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lotus 56

JHDrew

OK, after being away from the hobby for about two and a half years I decided to get back in slow.

After going through the storage shelves I came across an old SMTS Lotus 56 in 1/43 scale. The kit decals were pretty rough so I ordered some decals from Mike at Indycals for both the car and the tires. After cleaning up all the soft metal parts I shot the whole thing with Tamiya white primer and wet sanded that with 3500 grit. I masked off the nose and then shot it with three coats of Tamiya Fluoresent Red. I created some white decals to lay down first before the 70's and STP's were done in case of ghosting through the white area. Other than the Indycals it's pretty much out of the box. Enjoy!

model2-vi.jpg

model3-vi.jpg

Jim, nice little build there...you know, if you look quickly at it from the side view, it almost looks like a "pinewood derby" car with the exposed wheels, pure wedge shape and no wings or frills on it....which is not meant to take anything away from the build....1/43 race cars require lots of skill. Nice job.

Thats a super build with a great finsh all round - it looks superb it's hard to believe it's only 43rd scale - the proportions are spot on. Like you, I haven't built a 43rd in yeras and last week I just took delivery of the SMTS Brabham BT26 - hopefully with the inspiration from your project, I can geat a finish even half as good,

Cheers,

Paul

Strive for the Happy medium - more than too little and less than too much!