Model Cars Magazine Forum

And Now for Something Completely Different

Paper Model WIP/ Tutorial  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a WIP Tutorial on a paper model?

One of my other modeling interests is paper models. I recently got this very nice VW Bus model by Schreiber-Bogen. It's quite nicely done in 1/24 scale. It has the option of building it with full forward cab section interior detail, including separate pedals, shift lever, dash, door panels, etc., which is the way I will be building it, making my own windows.

Is anyone interested in a tutorial on paper modeling while it is in progress? There aren't a lot of passenger car paper models (though Dover books has a nifty one of sports cars,) but there are quite a few trucks, buses, heavy equipment, and military vehicles available. Let me know. I probably won't be starting this for a couple of weeks, but figured I'd ask if there is any interest.

Here's a picture of some of the main parts and the finished product.

001-vi.jpg

I congratulate you on your other modelling hobby. But I have to admit that for myself I voted no. As hard as I try I just cannot wrap my head around paper modelling. I can't even explain why - it's just some sort of mental block like some people have to diecast modelling. It's like to me a magazine on the internet is not a magazine, a model made of paper is not a model. But I've seen the results and they can be convincing.....arrrgghhh! I'm going to hit my idiot head against a wall for awhile.... ;);):D:D

In the meantime I say go for it. Like all other subjects on the board some will be interested and some will not.

I congratulate you on your other modelling hobby. But I have to admit that for myself I voted no. As hard as I try I just cannot wrap my head around paper modelling. I can't even explain why - it's just some sort of mental block like some people have to diecast modelling. It's like to me a magazine on the internet is not a magazine, a model made of paper is not a model. But I've seen the results and they can be convincing.....arrrgghhh! I'm going to hit my idiot head against a wall for awhile.... :o:blink:;):D

In the meantime I say go for it. Like all other subjects on the board some will be interested and some will not.

:D No problem; I figured I'd ask, and all opinions are welcome! I'll be posting it on the papermodels.com board, but I was curious as to whether there would be interest here. In case you want to see what can be done with them, here's a video someone posted of their totally scratch built Hummer H2 paper model with working suspension and lights. Kind of like an Aftashox version in cardstock!

Edit: I meant H1, not H2...it's like a bathroom break; there is a difference between #1 and #2! ;)

Edited by Jim Gibbons

:D No problem; I figured I'd ask, and all opinions are welcome! I'll be posting it on the papermodels.com board, but I was curious as to whether there would be interest here. In case you want to see what can be done with them, here's a video someone posted of their totally scratch built Hummer H2 paper model with working suspension and lights. Kind of like an Aftashox version in cardstock!

Edit: I meant H1, not H2...it's like a bathroom break; there is a difference between #1 and #2! :D

That Hummer is great. I don't know very many plastic models or diecasts with working suspension.

I congratulate you on your other modelling hobby. But I have to admit that for myself I voted no. As hard as I try I just cannot wrap my head around paper modelling. I can't even explain why - it's just some sort of mental block like some people have to diecast modelling. It's like to me a magazine on the internet is not a magazine, a model made of paper is not a model. But I've seen the results and they can be convincing.....arrrgghhh! I'm going to hit my idiot head against a wall for awhile.... :o:blink:;)B)

Peter–good to see that you realize your own modeling bias and realize that modeling encompasses a lot more than just injection-molded styrene plastic. ;)