Model Cars Magazine Forum

pro-street austin devon

doomcrew

work on the dash has now begun, which will have turned ally clocks, this will be body colour to.

DSCF8756.jpg

the grill has now been redone and i will start making the bumper and hinges for the front end along with the boot lid.

DSCF8761.jpg

DSCF8759.jpg

DSCF8760.jpg

the radiator has been fitted, with a couple of mods. this was to make sure that the front didn't foul.

DSCF8762.jpg

DSCF8763.jpg

DSCF8774.jpg

a mock-up shot to see how things are progressing.

DSCF8771.jpg

steve

thanks randy. i did change the steering to being static but the suspension still works.

i managed to find a set of headers that will fit in the small space between the motor and chassis. they were slightly modified with small lengths of rod so that they could meet the engine. the seams were then sanded smooth and painted in Alclad.

DSCF8775.jpg

DSCF8803.jpg

DSCF8808.jpg

i intended to make a front and rear bumper for this, but decided on just doing the front bumper. this was formed out of a Plastruct strip and will be body colour.

DSCF8776.jpg

DSCF8777.jpg

DSCF8778.jpg

DSCF8779.jpg

along with the new bumper, new hinges were made for the front end. i used plastic strips which were formed, cut and drilled so that the front would hinge on steel pins. i designed it so that the front would lift up and tilt forward.

DSCF8807.jpg

DSCF8806.jpg

DSCF8810.jpg

steve

i love Bank Holidays here in the UK, two long weekends in a row meant lots of building time. :D;)

with a few adjustments, the front now opens and closes very easily, and as you can see, stays open.

DSCF8811.jpg

moving on to the door hinges, i decided to make the doors open suicide style. there was a practicle reason for this as well as visual. part of the roll cage will emerge from under the dash and will be in the way of the hinge. i used liquid poly cement to fix the blocks in place, this gives a certain amount of time to position the doors. after the cement has set, gentle pressure on the hinges will help allign the doors more, just make sure that your fingers are holding the hinges at the anchor points.

DSCF8813.jpg

DSCF8814.jpg

DSCF8816.jpg

Edited by doomcrew

thanks raul. i throughly recommend getting a lathe.

i have begun painting the body, and in between curing time, i can do other things such as the roll cage and interior parts. the door panels are made from sheet pewter, the surface has been lightly sanded for a brushed look.

DSCF8828.jpg

DSCF8826.jpg

DSCF8833.jpg

DSCF8832.jpg

DSCF8829.jpg

DSCF8831.jpg

steve

i did open the rear fenders slightly, at the rear of the body. in reality, i cut an elongated triangular wedge to insert in between the fender and the body.

i now have the roll cage done, i'm holding myself back before i go mad with it. ;) i started with the kit roll bar and just added to it. the body will be ready for the first colour coats in a few days, just hope the sun is out so it can dry quicker.

DSCF8834.jpg

DSCF8835.jpg

DSCF8836.jpg

DSCF8839.jpg

DSCF8838.jpg

DSCF8840.jpg

steve

i found a steering wheel in my parts box, but had to strip the paint off and take out the spokes so i could use ones from Detail Master. the steering column and the piston shaped gear lever was turned on my lathe............

DSCF8844.jpg

........this also included a nitros bottle and what will end up as a fire exstinguisher.

DSCF8849.jpg

DSCF8850.jpg

i began making a centre consol out of chemiwood and a pewter insert. also finished the rollcage, the pics just show how things are looking. might move the steering column forwards a little.

DSCF8852.jpg

DSCF8851.jpg

just to see how things are looking, oh, the paint hasn't changed to orange, the artificial light has made it look orange. :D :D the nitros bottle is now polished and ready to fit. i still have to make a handbrake and fit it to the centre consol.

DSCF8866.jpg

DSCF8865.jpg

DSCF8862.jpg

DSCF8864.jpg

DSCF8858.jpg

DSCF8863.jpg

steve

the red flake is now on and i have applied a coat of clear to seal it. i haven't made my mind up whether to put some flames on it yet, decisions, decisions. the tubs and gearbox tunnel will be left in paint and the rest will be carpeted.

DSCF9046.jpg

DSCF9044.jpg

DSCF9042.jpg

DSCF9048.jpg

DSCF9051.jpg

DSCF9050.jpg

steve

just to see how the paint looks under artificial light.

2011-05-19011111.jpg

i turned out a pair of headlights today, i will do the other lights (indicators and rear) tomorrow.

2011-05-19155038.jpg

just to see how they will look. i will put bulbs and holders in the bowls and wire them up.

2011-05-19154820.jpg

and i almost forgot about the fire exstinquisher, here it is turned with scratchbuilt trigger and nozzle housing and scratchbuilt holder.

2011-05-19155158.jpg

please excuse the quility of the pics, the batteries in my camera died, so used my phone instead. steve

Edited by doomcrew

i managed to turn five dash clocks on my lathe, i say managed as it has a problem that i have to look at. i went for more functional design, simple but effective. although i did design the aux clocks to be three differant lengths. the facias have been cut from the decal sheet, pushed in to the housing and coated in clear. the starter switch was also turned and the second pic shows how the dash looks with the roll cage.

DSCF9053.jpg

DSCF9058.jpg

these are the finished headlights and indicators, with the bulbs (non-working), housing and wires. all the rims are turned and because of the flip front, the back of the lights would be seen, so it makes sense to have the workings there.

DSCF9054.jpg

DSCF9055.jpg

DSCF9056.jpg

the body and floor has had its final clear put on. i chose not to put any flames or decals on, but to let the paint shine on its own. next is to polish it.

DSCF9063.jpg

DSCF9066.jpg

DSCF9068.jpg

DSCF9065.jpg

steve