Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

how many times till you got it good ?

Hey i think this is a good question for someone getting into/ back into hobbie.

today i sprayed my 359 pete. gloss red with a flat black base to get a dark dark red color. a few minor runs but all and all a ok spray for a first timer. im hopping a little sanding and some reworking will help fix the bad spot! anyhow

just for talk and i think to refresh my brain you guys didnt get it right the first time, im curiuos what are some of the firs t models you did and how did they turn out ?

how many did it take you till you looked back and said. " now hey im making some progress here, and this is something i really wanna display.

as for my pete everything else looks sweet so maybe i'll find me a difrend body for it someday, who knows like i said you cant go forward with out looking back to see just how far you come !!!!

Well it took me quite a while, my first sprayed build was this:

stuff071.jpg

stuff072.jpg

and this is my most recent paint job:

FILE0279.jpg

FILE0281.jpg

Big diffrence, the best advice I can give you is, don't rush it, just go slow, and do light coats, and let each coat dry a bit before the next. The GTO got 1 heavy coat, the Z28 got 3 light coats of blue, and 2 medium coats of white.

Nick

disregard the above post web error did wanna retype it all again.

looks great was the z-28 also done via a spary can ?

i think i need to get pass the odd look of the little dots look of the thin coats and remember the reward comes at the end after severl small ones.

is there a rule of thumb betweend dry times?

thanks pete that had some great info! i think with that knowlage and time i'll be doing well in no time.

one think i thought of was getting sheets of plastic and cutting them down and practice painting on them senverl times to learn how paint looks and acts!

The way Doctor Cranky looks at it, every build, every paint job, every model represents in a new chance to make it better and get it right, AND more importantly, have more fun.

Styrene = Plastic = FUN! Creativity and dexterity and keeping your imagination alive and kicking!

Oh, and that's a tremendous leap in skills and ability, buddy. Congrats.

Edited by Dr. Cranky

My first builds were done with Testers enamel paint and brush. I had considerable experience under my Dad painting our house trim so some actually didn't look bad. My venture into candy spray cans looked worst than the brushed on stuff!

That was 53 years ago and I'm still learning. :)

disregard the above post web error did wanna retype it all again.

looks great was the z-28 also done via a spary can ?

i think i need to get pass the odd look of the little dots look of the thin coats and remember the reward comes at the end after severl small ones.

is there a rule of thumb betweend dry times?

Both where done with Duplicolor Spray, straight from the can, Another thing I forgot to mention, is always use a primer coat, I almost always do, because most paints will craze, or etch the plastic and in some extreme cases melt it.

For the little dots, you can wet sand them out, most of the time.