Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who doesn't love late '60's/early '70's, totally off the wall, OTT show rods? Well... I'm kind of lukewarm about them myself, but there are some pretty cool ones out there. The designs of Ed Roth and Tom Daniel are among my favorites, and the Ice T... well, I can't say it's one of my faves.But as a chronic kitbasher, I can say it has some really cool parts that could make their way into other models.

modelkits016-vi.jpg
modelkits017-vi.jpg
modelkits19-vi.jpg
modelkits019-vi.jpg

As you can see, in typical early Monogram fashion, there isn't too much to it. The big bonus is the parts are nicely molded, and the chrome looks good. The wheels resemble the ones found in the old Monogram Paddy Wagon kit, and you get a pair of those big, wrinkled, 'non -directional' <_< , slicks. I'm also really fond of the twin, side mount, crescent-shaped fuel tanks, which mount just aft of the front tires. The bummer is you'll ruin the plating joining the two halves together and eliminating the seam on the fuel cap. And the kit has lots of other little doodads I find very tasty... the quick change rear diff, the ladder bars, the aformentioned slicks, and I'm really thinking of grafting that roof onto something!

I've seen these built up, and they do look cool (oh, jeez...) if you like the style. Mine won't end up looking anything like the box art model, though. ;)

I gotta be honest... I don't see a whole lot of useful stuff in that kit as far as parts for kitbashing. It's all pretty cartoony; typical TD stuff. If you like the car itself, fine. But as a source of good kitbashing parts? Not so much.

This was never one of my fave TD designs ... the crescent-shaped fuel tanks and those goofy-looking side pipes are among the elements that ruin it for me. Having said that, though, I also must say that the model looks 1,000 times better in a color other than yellow. The one Rob S. (novadose) posted recently, which was painted with an icy blue shade of nail polish, was really sweet. Testors One Coat Icy Blue would be another good color choice if one wanted to go in a similar, but not identical, direction.

I actually kinda like the fuel tanks on this. It's a little out there but at least it's different.

I actually kinda like the fuel tanks on this.

That's my favorite part of the design- totally integrated into the concept, yet absolutely impractical and downright deadly for anything which would ever actually be driven. :( Such is the appeal (and lack of) of most of TD's designs, though.

Tom has some comments regarding each of his kit designs, which you can read over at www.tomdaniel.com so take a peek if you haven't been there.

I would love to see someone place/use those fuel tanks ahead of the front tires on a build...

That's my favorite part of the design- totally integrated into the concept, yet absolutely impractical and downright deadly for anything which would ever actually be driven. ;) Such is the appeal (and lack of) of most of TD's designs, though.

Tom has some comments regarding each of his kit designs, which you can read over at www.tomdaniel.com so take a peek if you haven't been there.

I would love to see someone place/use those fuel tanks ahead of the front tires on a build...

They are no more dangerous than the front mounted moon tanks on hot rods or the rear mounted tanks on 32 fords. How about the danger of having the gas tank right behind the dashboard on a model A ford, That would be fun in a side collision.

Edited by Darin Bastedo

Guest Johnny

They are no more dangerous than the front mounted moon tanks on hot rods or the rear mounted tanks on 32 fords. How about the danger of having the gas tank right behind the dashboard on a model A ford, That would be fun in a side collision.

Or pickup tanks mounted inside the cab behind the seat?

Or pickup tanks mounted inside the cab behind the seat?

Or under the seat? Or the early Mustangs, where the top of the fuel tank was part of the trunk floor. Get hit in the rear and BOOM- gas tidal wave!

My next model will be one big, motorized gas tank, with flame thrower exhaust!!!!