Model Cars Magazine Forum

Weathering Interiors

Hi everyone

Weathering model car interiors for junker cars is always something I struggled with. If anyone has tips to help me do interiors better please post them

thanks

[/quo

I am by no means a master but I have taken tissue and covered the seats and sprayed with a mixture of white elmers glue and water. You can pinch it to make it look like torn seats or whatever. Then hit it with some paint of your choice and leave some of the white tissue showing. Let it sit awhile and dry or work with it till you get the look you want. Pretty simple and as far as the paint and all...pretty much as you would weather the exterior. Experiment with the tissue thing. Its easy. I'm sure some others will chime in too.

To simulate dirt, I use earthtone pastels and just brush them on with a dry brush. There should be no shiney surfaces, with the possible exception of chrome. If you use dullcoat, use it before the pastells, as it tends to make them vanish.

To simulate duct tape, you can color strips of masking tape with a silver Sharpie then cut the tape to an apropriate size and apply as desired. You can also find or make some rubbish to place inside as well.

Here are a couple of examples from my builds:

55Chevy021m.jpg

Truck08.JPG

Hope this helps,

David G.

DSC02266.jpg

Dark washes over everything to build up the grunge factor. The tears etc. in the seats were made by cutting into the plastic with the back-side of a #11 blade and then carving out some material. Painting and washes to high-light the different materials.

Hope this is a help.