Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Topper" 32 Ford update

Steve H.

You guys remember this one... Right? I know its been a while since I've updated on it. Nothing much has changed on the body/paint...

P3010019-vi.jpg

As I've been putting the effort into wiring the engine. I don't usually detail engines this much so its proving to be a real effort for me. I'm pretty happy with it so far! You wouldn't believe how hard it was to get the wire retainer clip mounted around the fuel bowl!!! :?

Topper003-vi.jpg

The other side... Of all things, I'm pretty stoked about the rubber collars on the water inlet pipes. Brass tube cut to fit, painted flat black and craft wire pipe clamps, I think they are pretty believable. The radiator inlets are the same, but the engine compartment is so tight, I'm working overtime to make it all fit.

Topper005-vi.jpg

The frame and oil pan have a few scrape marks... Whaddya expect when the car is so low! I layed down BMF before paint and scraped paint off after. I've dirtied up the frame and engine with weathering powders, also.

Topper009-vi.jpg

Enjoy... Comments always welcome!

it is indeed a beautiful build but i have noticed a flathead peculiarity that many may have seen and not commented on. the fomoco 8ba /8cm didn't have any provision for motor mounts on the sides of the block; they were part of the water pumps on the front of the block. the mercury kit block you've used had a simple molded projection to cement it to the merc crossmember, also not prototypical but that's what AMT did. the engine from the R-M 50 ford f1 pickup has the correctly styled mounts and water pumps but i would not want you to change your build at this stage! i'm truthfully picking a nit with this but if you were doing another one....

again i am truly impressed with "Topper" and your skills.

it is indeed a beautiful build but i have noticed a flathead peculiarity that many may have seen and not commented on. the fomoco 8ba /8cm didn't have any provision for motor mounts on the sides of the block; they were part of the water pumps on the front of the block. the mercury kit block you've used had a simple molded projection to cement it to the merc crossmember, also not prototypical but that's what AMT did. the engine from the R-M 50 ford f1 pickup has the correctly styled mounts and water pumps but i would not want you to change your build at this stage! i'm truthfully picking a nit with this but if you were doing another one....

again i am truly impressed with "Topper" and your skills.

I don't research much, but I'm aware of how the blocks mount. This build has more to do with the donor block and kit frame engine mount positions. I was trying to find that happy halfway point between the two of them.

I hate you

:shock: :) 8) But you're still my favorite Magazine Mogul!

As I've been putting the effort into wiring the engine. I don't usually detail engines this much so its proving to be a real effort for me.

Oh really now, I normally try to do some engine detail but it never comes out looking a fraction as good as this. great job!

RJW.

As I've been putting the effort into wiring the engine. I don't usually detail engines this much so its proving to be a real effort for me.

Oh really now, I normally try to do some engine detail but it never comes out looking a fraction as good as this. great job!

RJW.

Thanks!

The sad part is... I had to steal my wife's reading glasses! I just can't focus on that tiny stuff anymore! :cry:

I hear ya, I keep telling myself its because theres not enough light, but I might have to look into getting some glasses. Oh well its about time to put on some more suntan lotion and go back to my model bench. :D:lol:

RJW.

Steve, that is one beautiful flathead....the 32 ain't bad either. For what it is worth, I think the engine mounts don't matter one bit. The total craftmanship on the build is great, and obviously you enjoyed doing it. I never worry about those things, if it makes you feel good to build it, then that is what our hobby is all about. I always build something that makes me happy. If others approve, thats great. If not, thats ok too, because I approved of the build, and really, thats all that matters. Keep building and keep pushing the bar. Nice job. P.S. I love the fan belts and spark plug wires, they all look great.