Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Fairlane

sak

The armrest bases are chrome too! Front and rear. Also,the windshield pillars are all chrome (the A posts) I see a lot of guys mess up on these but 66-71s are like this(see the pic of my old Ranchero) B)

I intend to mess up the chrome on the pillars. Even though I know that they were there, I like the look without. Same with those courtesy lights on the doors. I clearcoated the hood with that dupont stuff and it seems real high quality. I will now have to invest in some of that super high grit sandpaper. Don't want to mess this up. But its the first time doing black so I expect to not be perfect.

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

Edited by sak

i just built a drag version of this kit and it was fun. i really like the extra details you are adding in and the paint detailing.

what do you have in mind for the upper shock mounts on the shock/spring towers? AMT kind of left that detail out :huh:

James T is building this same car and apparently made or found some mounts:

IMGP0001.jpg

I just left the question for him in his thread 'cuz I'd like to know too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update I wetsanded the hood and polished it with scratchx, Still see small scratches in the finish. I always only used 2000 grit, then polish and have always been satisfied but these scratches really easy to see with black paint. 2000 is the finest thing I have so think I should get one of those kits with the real fine paper. But I am thinking of first applying another coat of this dupont clearcoat, but this time thru my airbrush. Anybody know anything about these acrylic paints? The can only says to wait 10-15 minutes between coats. Its been about a week since I aplied the second coats of paint and not sure if it is safe to add more clearcoat. This paint seems to be kinda almost foamy and this last time, little bubbles stuck to the surface and dried into little pits in the paint. Had a hard time getting it smooth. I have heard of some paints needing a month to cure if you wait more than the 10-15 minutes.

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...