Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint probelms

Guest roadkill2525

Guest roadkill2525

Im currently working on my Acura Integra and Ford Focus, the paint is pulling away from the panel lines on the Integra. As for the Focus, the 91% alcohol didn't get all the paint off the body. The base coat is Model Master Sterling Silver lacquer and dosen't seem to really want to come off.

How can I fix this?

Strip em in CSC (castrol super clean) or dot3 brake fluid. After they're stripped, clean, and ready to reshoot, dust on your first few coats. This should eliminate the paint building up and pulling away from your panel lines. HTH

Another suggestion you may want to do is to block sand with 600 grit paper or so, around your door panels and trunk lines.

Those sections tend to have "troughs" around the door and trunk lines, and you want those areas to be as flat as can be around the perimeter of the doors and trunk.

Paint wants to pull away from these areas and settle into troughs..................this is critical if you were doing a candy paint job! :wink:

Guest roadkill2525

My dad got some 99% alcohol from his work and it got the Focus almost down to bare plastic on the driver side, the rest of the body is pretty much done. As for the Integra, the only problem is the panel lines and I don't want to strip it.

Guest roadkill2525

I used Model Master Stainless Steel Metalizer as a base, but this has never happened before. Then again the last time I painted this way was for my sisters VW Bug which worked great.

Guest zebm1
FYI, Castrol Super Clean is no longer sold in California.

I went to NAPA and they sold me a squirt bottle of purple liquid called simply "Super Clean." Tha salesguy assurred me that it is "Castrol" Super Clean....and it works just like CSC. :lol:

zeb

>FYI, Castrol Super Clean is no longer sold in California.

while this was true for a while, its been reformulated and is now again available i believe.

though the reformulation seems to have cut some of its power...but it still works like a charm on testors enamel seems like

Guest roadkill2525

Ended up stripping it anyways. After color-sanding and cleaning it, I shot another coat on and it went on perfectly. I let the paint flash for about 10 minutes and when I came back a stupid fly had landed on it, getting stuck to it in the process.

Ended up stripping it anyways. After color-sanding and cleaning it, I shot another coat on and it went on perfectly. I let the paint flash for about 10 minutes and when I came back a stupid fly had landed on it, getting stuck to it in the process.

If you were lucky he would have landed precisely enough to serve as one bitchin' hood ornament!

Bob

I wish I had a dollar for every fly or bug that landed on my paint job as i was spraying it.the worst part is when they land on the part you just sprayed and decide to take the scenic route, flapping their wings all over the panel before they die.You just pick them out with tweezers and color sand and go on with life.