Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your Shabo Dry Transfer Source

I've only found them at model shows and swap meets.

What marking are you looking for? Not saying I have some, but will look out for them around my area.

I'm looking for Goodyear, MH, really anything that ran Funnies and Pro Stock cars in the 60's and 70's. R&M used to have these fantastic PE templates for Goodyear, Hoosier and others. I held off on buying them, now it doesn't look like they sell'em any more. Considering the legal snafu (corporations wanting their cut) it probably wasn't worth the hassle.

I'll check out model empire. I found one site that says they're Available, but not in stock. I was going to order from them last night, but decided to call Graham at my LHS first. From what he told me, the company that makes the dry transfer paper is either going out of business, or discontinuing the paper, so when their stock runs out, that's it. I hope that isn't the case, those dry transfer logo's are beautiful!

I don't know what the deal is with Shabo. Somebody told me about 10 years ago that they were out of business, but if thats true they must've made a zillion sheets before they went out, because I can find them at every show I go to. They're very difficult to find online though. Model Empire keeps 'em listed, so check there.

Shabo ain't the only game in town, however. For racing tires, Slixx makes a nice set of Tire Markings as waterslide decals. There's also a guy on Ebay that offers musclecar white letter decals periodically.

I was wondering in my pea brain how one might do a dry transfer on tire lettering if i had just a white sheet i could rub on the raised lettering .

no need for it to be printed. I wonder if a typewriter correction tape might work? i need to find some and try it.

just thinking out lawed.

I don't know what the deal is with Shabo. Somebody told me about 10 years ago that they were out of business, but if thats true they must've made a zillion sheets before they went out, because I can find them at every show I go to. They're very difficult to find online though. Model Empire keeps 'em listed, so check there.

Shabo ain't the only game in town, however. For racing tires, Slixx makes a nice set of Tire Markings as waterslide decals. There's also a guy on Ebay that offers musclecar white letter decals periodically.

Same here I see them all the time at model shows I even have some Shabo stuff I bought for a lot less than 47 bucks.

-

Their are other sources for tire markings Slixx makes great waterslides and I have also seen the guy on ebay. I think his are copies of the Shabo stuff.

I was adamant that I would stay away from water slide decals on tires. My few experiences with them were less than positive. They looked like ###### on the tire. I realized after reading a few posts elsewhere here that I was doing it wrong. I tried a few MH water slides on the Mr Norms Super Charger I'm working on, and, they don't look all that bad! Maybe I'll order a few of the Slixx sheets and use those! Thanks for the input guys...always appreciated!

Mike

You're right. There's no reason water slidfe decals cant be used on tires. What turned me off was being able to see the edges of the decal after it had dried. What I did earlier was sand them, Donn Yost style, made sure they were nice and smooth by finishing them off with 1000 grit paper, popped the decal on, added a little Micro-Set, then when it was dry added a layer of dullcoat. Doesn't look too bad! I'm gonna order a half dozen or so Slixx sheets from Model Express