Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Funny Car Semi Scratch Built

I've been looking at this forum for a while now from the UK with amazement. Some of the builds on here are truly sensational. I just don't know how they are done. I look at some of the shots and just think "Well how is that possible." Anyway I thought I'd add my latest completion. I feel a little embarrassed compared to some of the builds on here but here you go.

I started this model in the mid 90s after I left school and always wanted to build it as a drag racing funny car. It was the Revell VW Street Machine kit. It started off like this.

$(KGrHqV,!k0E2ESQc8+HBNtnEp5tyQ~~_12.JPG

So being only 16 and thinking I could manage it I decided to attempt a roof chop. After going through alot of filler and undercoats I ended up putting the model down and leaving it in the cupboard for about 12 years. After moving out of my parents and then in with my wife I got some urge back for model building. On my list was to finally finish this.

I'd already completed the interior years before pulling parts from alot of AMT kits. I scratch built the roll cage (which I don't think would pass any FSA regulations) and spent ages on detailing the interior. After many coats of primer and sanding I finally felt I have got the exterior paint right. This was all hand brushed. I decided to hand paint the logo on the sides through a stencil which was possibly not the cleanest way but my lack of space and tools made this my only option. I don't really have the knowledge for how I would do this realistically. I finally finished it off with decals from some unknown AMT kit.

All critisisms are welcome. :(

P5040031.jpg

P5040009.jpg

P5040012.jpg

P5040014.jpg

P5040015.jpg

P5040016.jpg

P5040017.jpg

P5040018.jpg

P5040019.jpg

Edited by Rich Ghia

Those rear wheels look menacing the way they fit. Your hand painting skills are amazing.

Took the words right out of my mouse, Mike; I like it too. It's rare to see one of those Revell Beetles built with so many of the kit parts. :D

I like it! I especially like the roof chop. You've obviously put a lot of time and effort into this, and it paid off. It's cool to see what can be done without a lot of technology (airbrush, etc.). I agree about your painting skills, remarkable!