Model Cars Magazine Forum

Am I seeing things?? You've GOT to check this out!!

Guest zebm1

Not fanning any flames, just posting for comparison purposes. Back when I didn't know any better, I tried using mineral spirits to break down some glued on parts...as yu can see, leaving tha original 1963 AMT Chevy Impala in tha bath overnite waz a bad thing. :cry:

101_0006.jpg

101_0007.jpg

101_0008.jpg

:cry: :cry: :cry:

sorry about tha yellow tint, new camera-Kodak Z612 35 mm digital. I need to do some experimenting.

zeb

I for one will never buy resin sight unseen. I was at a show several years ago and I don't remember who the caster was ( I'm thinking it was Reliable...but not entirely sure). I had a body in my hands and looked at it very carefully. When agreed to purchase it the caster took the body I had and got another one and handed it to me. He got kinda pissed when I went to open it before forking over my $$$. The one he handed me was a lot rougher than the first one I looked at. I told him to keep it and walked away.

There are lots of really great resin-casters out there so it pains me :cry: when I see people get burned when their first resin purchase is from one of the not-so-goods. They swear off resin thinking it is all junk.

At NNL East I saw the Modelhaus 50 Cad Coupe de Ville and dropped my jaw! That kit is so incredibly nice. I almost pulled my wallet even though I do not build that type of car. The quality of it is astounding. I met Ed Fluck with his Drag City Castings co. and I kept pulling out my wallet :( . His 36 Willys pickup and 28 Chevy AA/SR were so cool and incredibly well done. Perry's, Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland, Jimmy Flintstone, MCW and others do such nice work. As the Big Styrene companies wither, the resin market is blossoming. It is the wave of the future and the poor performers will eventually tire of attempting to compete. I just feel bad for those who got burned by them.

One other point I want to make is that these brouhahas don't come out of nowhere. How many on-line tirades have you seen about any other resin casters? Has anyone ever heard anyone trash talk Modelhaus???? There has been a lot of chatter about A/FX who kind of disappeared and the current subject. Anyone else? That is most telling.

How many on-line tirades have you seen about any other resin casters? Has anyone ever heard anyone trash talk Modelhaus???? There has been a lot of chatter about A/FX who kind of disappeared and the current subject. Anyone else? That is most telling.

You usually only see the tirades when a resin caster "takes the money and runs". The vast majority of people in this hobby are "collectors" and not "builders". Just look at the message boards and the percentage of posters who never post progress threads on their builds. We all collect, but few of us actually build. Just my two cents worth and the Nomex is on.

Ouch! Not.

It's true I don't post anything on the In progress section. I think 25 years of SAE event coverage, etc. is enough. I average 10-15 finished models a year for myself. I have built well over 150 in a few years but of course those were all sold through my business Aardvark Models. We all collect but you and I do build a lot of them too, Marc.

Ouch! Not.

It's true I don't post anything on the In progress section. I think 25 years of SAE event coverage, etc. is enough. I average 10-15 finished models a year for myself. I have built well over 150 in a few years but of course those were all sold through my business Aardvark Models. We all collect but you and I do build a lot of them too, Marc.

Hey Andy!!!

This wasn't a personal attack on you, but a general statement about my observation of the hobby. This board and the one at the "other" magazine do have more builders that post their builds on average. But many of the other message boards are full of regulars that in the eight years or so I've been connected to the hobby thru the internet I have yet to see a build of theirs or even see them discuss a build.

There are a great number of people in the hobby that are just "collectors". They talk a good game but I would just like to see them build too. There are guys in my local club that I've known for 5 years that do not build. They are at every meeting at the LHS and always go home with some new models, resin bodies, paints, etc, but they never build!!!

It's only when we get the urge to build that resin kit we purchased years ago only to discover that it warped in the box, the quality was not what we remembered it to be, etc, that the tirades begin.

You mentioned Modelhaus in your earlier post. I have one of their '57 Ford Custom 300 kits. It's a beauty, but it is THICK and will take lots of grinding on the sides to get the AMT '57 chassis plate to fit properly. Did I go into an online tirade when I discovered this? No. I'm a model builder and I have the skills to correct this issue. If I start one and find it to be unbuildable, I put it back in the box and move on. Write the money off too. It's not like we spent $200k on a rare musclecar only to find out when we got it home it was a total rust bucket underneath the shiny finish. We're talking at best $40-50 for a total resin kit in most cases.

When it comes to resin, NO resin kit is perfect. Resin has gotten much better over the years and as such, expectations have risen. But bottom line, a resin kit will always require more work and a higher level of skill from the model builder than a styrene kit. Successfully building any resin kit will no doubt make one a better model builder. Hopefully, Modelmartin will come out with a resin kit that I would be interested in building. I would like to compare the quality of your castings with the others that are out there.

You usually only see the tirades when a resin caster "takes the money and runs". The vast majority of people in this hobby are "collectors" and not "builders". Just look at the message boards and the percentage of posters who never post progress threads on their builds. We all collect, but few of us actually build. Just my two cents worth and the Nomex is on.

Ok I plead guilty...I buy a whole lot more than I finish, but I have fun. Now on the topic of resin quality, I have to say that over the years I've bought a ###### resin, and as much as people complain, the average resin caster these days are a lot better than they were a few years ago. How many people remember Mad Dog Models, or Tim's resin rods? there tuf practically needed remastering to be buildable.

I'll admit, that Don Thune can be "rough arond the edges", but he's always done fine by me. (It could be because I also am an obnoxious yankee)

I don't know if for some reason I've had better luck from reliable resins, so I won't say people are over reacting, but my experience has always been good.

Marc,

I am part of this model culture and like to think my ear is securely on the rail of the hobby train. I spend a lot of my time studying trends within the model culture and have to totally disagree with your “general statement about the hobbyâ€.

It is true that there are a lot of collectors out there but they are in no way the larger percentage currently! Nearly everyone in this hobby that I talk to usually gets around to telling me, in painful details, about their latest build project. NOT about their latest acquisition!

This will probably change as time passes due to the fact that fewer and fewer younger modelers are joining while huge amounts of builders AND collectors are dieing off…

“Thus far the mortality rate is 100%… nobody gets out alive!â€

J

Marc,

I am part of this model culture and like to think my ear is securely on the rail of the hobby train. I spend a lot of my time studying trends within the model culture and have to totally disagree with your “general statement about the hobbyâ€.

It is true that there are a lot of collectors out there but they are in no way the larger percentage currently! Nearly everyone in this hobby that I talk to usually gets around to telling me, in painful details, about their latest build project. NOT about their latest acquisition!

This will probably change as time passes due to the fact that fewer and fewer younger modelers are joining while huge amounts of builders AND collectors are dieing off…

“Thus far the mortality rate is 100%… nobody gets out alive!â€

J

Thanks for your comment, Jairus. I was referring primarily to the "internet modelers". Many model builders I know never go to the internet or if they do, they stay away from these forums. It's probably why they build more than some of us.

For some people with families 40-to 50 dollars is a great deal. . .

And for those people, if you have families and $40-50 dollars is a lot of money to you, you shouldn't be spending it on a model kit.

Let's see, shoes for the kids or a model kit...I'll buy the model. The kids can go bare footed for another month or two. Electric bill or a model??? Food on the table or a model???

I for one, NEVER take money off the table to spend on my hobby. And those that do should have their head examined.

I didn't want to take it to this but here it goes.

No need to get worked up I now you defend Mr Reliable because you are in bed with the guy. Mr Reliable is from the Philly area and everybody that has dealings with him get shafted nobody in this area even wants to deal with the loud mouth. I am sure alot of guys here do this hobby on a budget. not that they are going to stop living because of this hobby but like to do the hobby and they enjoy it with thier limited resource.

:twisted:

I didn't want to take it to this but here it goes.

No need to get worked up I now you defend Mr Reliable because you are in bed with the guy. Mr Reliable is from the Philly area and everybody that has dealings with him get shafted nobody in this area even wants to deal with the loud mouth. I am sure alot of guys here do this hobby on a budget. not that they are going to stop living because of this hobby but like to do the hobby and they enjoy it with thier limited resource.

:twisted:

Ariel,

My reply regarding the hobby and budgets had nothing to do with defending Reliable Resin. Just trying to make a point that if money IS an issue, one has no business spending $40-50 or more on a model kit, from Reliable Resin, Tamiya, Harold Bradford, Model Factory Hiro, Aardvark Models, or whomever. That's all, nothing more.

In response to some posts on this board re MY E Bay auction and to you Marc Ellis and any other Don Theune Minion ...................... For starters Marc , don't know why YOU started beaking off when you were only aware of ONE side of the story from your buddy Theune, hell you MUST be close cuase your Fotki is one big ADD and LOVE in for him and WE ALL know how TRUTHFUL he is. His BS story about GIVING me that POS to build the topless Comet, what a joke ! My reasons for doing what I did had NOTHING to do with money, it had gone way past that. I cast myself for myself , and I have LOTS of resin from MANY casters , and HIS, is with out a doubt, THE WORST stuff on the resin market of THAT genre ................ After hearing sooooooooooooooooooo many complaints from countless individuals about getting shafted by Theune AND his smarta*s condescending retorts and totally pathetic attitude towards people, after he had their money, not to mention how he is ALWAYS welcomed with love and open arms at various clubs and shows, prompted me to post some pics of that superb piece of work of his that he sent me. After he got wind of it, seen it again, and how absolutely terrible it was , then read all the posted comments, HE got in touch with me and was practically, no he was begging me on how he could make things right . After some thought, I gave him the oportunity to make good on HIS claim that HIS resin is , quoted by HIM, "THE BEST RESIN MONEY CAN BUY" I suggested to him what he could send to compensate me for ALL of the stuff I PURCHASED from him. After waiting for about three weeks, I contacted him and asked if had sent the stuff out as of yet ........ I bet you can all guees what HIS response was .... after some choice names and condescending remarks he told me to go f*#k myself . It was at THAT point that I thought, enough is enough from this guy. So I took the action I took. Make NO mistake ...... this is FAR from over ........... PS I do not expect that he will actually PAY for that body

End of chapter one ....... Stay THEUNED !! OOOPPS i mean TUNED !!

Sincerely

Alan

Just one last thing. Alan has large cojones(read with a spanish accent).

I give you credit for what you did somebody else like all the 30 or so people that posted on your e-bay listing would not have the cojones,baseballs that you had to do this. :mrgreen:

Careful people!

Let's tone this down just a bit.... no personal attacks will be permitted!!!

Marc thus far has been very cordial in his posts. I would hate to have to ban Alan after only one post...

I was gonna say something, but I felt it was best not to. Thanks for keeping things under control.

Guest zebm1

Hmmmm, one side's version does not a complete story make. I'm not reading (divining) any more into this dispute than that. :wink: To also paraphrase P.T. Barnum, you can please most of tha people some of tha time, but you can't please all of tha people all of tha time. :wink: :wink:

zeb

Jairus, why would I be threatened to be banned from here just for telling MY side on here ? After reading the other posts, mine is in NO way anymore of a personal attack than any of the others posted here. Oh, and Marc, your reply to me under your "tulsaneon" ebay name was not so polite now was it ? Golden rule, give me a break !

Alan