Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sticky sandpaper

Just a helpful hint. I use a lot of adhesive backed sandpaper. It makes it easy to make your own sanding sticks, in just about any shape. I make pieces of wood in the shape I need, stick the sandpaper to it, and trim off the excess. It works great for flat sticks, and I sometimes stick it to a piece of glass for a wide flat sanding area.

It is readily available in 80, 120, 220, and 320 grit, and comes in either 4-1/2 inch by 10 yard rolls, or individual sheets.

I know there's not much you guys don't know, but I haven't seen it mentioned, so there you go.

or just use your regular wet /dry paper and use a spray adhesive on both surfaces..I use 3M super 77.

sticks, rods rubber blocks......

Yeah, I do that too, works great. If you want to be able to replace the paper on a stick, try craft spray adhesive. That will give a temporary bond. I also use carpet tape for the grits I don't have sticky back for. For body work, I put 120 on one side of a flat stick, and 220 on the other. Good for shaping and rough sanding.

I've been known to use sprue trees wrapped in sticky sanding disks.

A worn (dull) razor blade or utility knife blade make a great substrate, with a nice, straight edge that the paper can be folded over.

I have sticky disks of 400 grit.

They're made by Wurth, in Germany.

I used to restore cars...

Auto body supply stores have 'em.