Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24th or 25th Dodge power wagons WC series

There were some diecast versions of WWII era Power Wagons. I think there is a resin version of the Power Wagon too, check with Star Models as I believe he had a listing for them.

To the best of my knowledge, there has not been a 1/24 or 1/25 models of the Power Wagons. There might be some 1/35 versions in the military section of a LHS or a Hobby Lobby.

sourkrauts model trucks has them but currently sold out?the kit is 46 DPW by rmr resion.hope this helps mike.oh! its on 2nd page neer bottom of cab kits.lots of old big rigs 2 40`s 50`s coe`s old mack b-cabs neet stuff.

I have the RMR power wagon resin kit. It is not very good quality and not worth 40 bucks unless you really want to make one, which I did. The quality is very poor though and you can count on not using several of the kit parts.

STewart

I'm going to disagree on the quality of RMR, I've got a pile of his resin including the power wagon and have no complaints with any of it or the service I've had from Ron. It is more representitive of older style resin parts, and you will be raiding the parts box for a fully detailed build but his prices reflect that.

The diecast is probably the way to go though unless you are a major anti-diecast type. You should be able to find the Ertl or Matchbox diecast for much less than the resin one and you will get a very nice model to work with.

Thanks guys

I'll be looking for the diecast and keep checking Sourkrauts for the resin one. WWII era accessories will be fun to find

Rich

If you can find the AMT "Hogans Heroes" Jeep it has some bits you might find useful, a .50 cal MG, some carbines and a Thompson SMG as I recall. Also a 106mm Recoiless Rifle which would be post war / Korean War era but it still works for a Powerwagon. Tamiya and Hasegawa have some 1/24 scale WW2 kits but I'm not sure what they included as far as extras.

I have the hogans Heroes jeep

Also the old Gangbusters series kits had Thompson submachine guns and a carbine.

I'll need to find a source for more of the personal gear, ie: uniforms, canteens and such.

My step-father was in a "non" combat unit, the 678th Quartermaster Salvage corps or as he called it

Army junkmen. lol

RMR has really good prices and some very unusual subjects. For the price, they are great. They have some of the cheapest resin around. However, with the price comes a drop in quality over other resin pieces. The bodies I have bought have a rather poor resin quality, many pinholes in places that are hard to fix, and lumpy casting on some parts. I have chosen to buy from them in spite of this because of their good prices and I like the subjects they have. I'm just saying be ready for what I would consider in my experience to be sub-parr casting. It is in line with the price though.

STewart

I have the RMR power wagon resin kit. It is not very good quality and not worth 40 bucks unless you really want to make one, which I did. The quality is very poor though and you can count on not using several of the kit parts.

STewart

Ya got any pics of that One?

My first post came across a little strong I think. After going through the kits I have from them, the quality is not very poor but it is definitely not great. There is room for improvement. Here are the pics of two of the kits I have. I have a third but it is built.

On the Dodge Bighorn kit I have, the body is a bit rough, there are many pin-holes, the dash detail is rather lumpy, and the bottom edge of the hood is not straight. Also, the cab clearance lights on the roof are just lumps. :D

DSC03147.jpg

DSC03148.jpg

DSC03150.jpg

DSC03152.jpg

STewart

Here is the dodge power wagon. The body is rough in a few spots but still fairly good. There are again many pin-holes in very poor spots. The axles are basically unusable. Overly simplified. Casting is rough on some parts as well.

DSC03153.jpg

DSC03154.jpg

DSC03155.jpg

DSC03156.jpg

DSC03158.jpg

DSC03159.jpg

DSC03160.jpg

STewart

DSC03161.jpg

DSC03162.jpg

DSC03163.jpg

DSC03164.jpg

As you can see, the casting is not terrible and I can work with it but it is still rather poor quality. In the truck bed, the bolts in the wood deck each have a pin-hole in them almost without exception. That has been common with the kits I have received from him. However, I will say that I have a 67 chevy pickup from him and it only had a few pin-holes in it and was a very nice casting though it still had some flaws that are not seen in a good casting.

STewart

Well I hope the other stuff is better-looking. As I said, the 67 chevy I have is a decent casting. It might be the master. For instance, the dash-board for the Bighorn looks like a combination of poor scratchbuilding and casting. It might just be that the masters were poorly made.

STewart

Here is the dodge power wagon. The body is rough in a few spots but still fairly good. There are again many pin-holes in very poor spots. The axles are basically unusable. Overly simplified. Casting is rough on some parts as well.

You know, I've been looking at resin kits and parts for a long time, and believe me, this stuff qualifies as "poor" quality. I'm glad I saw these. I've thought about ordering from this company, but I think I'll pass.

Terry

Stewart, your example is much rougher than mine. Sure some of his stuff has pin holes, but I've never received anything from him with large bubbles like in that light. I hope that was just something that slipped past him and not a sign his quality control is going down hill.