Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bobby Allison`s 1975 Matador

John Teresi

Harry, if you would have read the entire post you drew my 'hostile' words from, you would see the context in which they were meant. I have nothing against John or his builds, but to add stuff just for the sake of adding stuff is something I just don't understand. Detail, when well done, is a good thing. But when you have a rubber bump beam that, if scaled out, would be 3" thick set up on the side of the seat........? Running lines to nowhere or into incorrect locations on highly visible parts?

Like I said and I will stand by, John is better than this. Proof is in his vintage drag and LSR builds. NO HOSTILITY was meant.

im tired of criticism, thats why i build for me, if you dont like it , thats you!, so i say, keep on building john, cause your really good at it, no matter if accurate or not. also i want to comment, that ive been victim to the bullies too, in the past, but that made me a better modeler too.

To all the guys who I pulled quotes from: I agree 100% that we all have the right to post our opinions, comments and criticisms. I'm sure most of you realize by now that I'm the first guy to stand behind that idea... and have done so many times in the past.

My point is, I'm surprised at the level of personal hostility I've seen here. I just don't see it as justified. That's just my opinion, of course. Like Dennis Miller says, "I could be wrong." :rolleyes:

And BTW... I did read the whole thread from the beginning, and did read the entire posts of everyone I quoted.

Harry - since you quoted me in your response - it's only fair that I attempt to explain. You say you didn't see these comments (& I'm referring to mine only) as hostile & you saw nothing that provoked them? Well, when taken out of context, as you have - yeah they seem hostile - both of those comments were in response to Mr. Teresi's response to me asking about the accuracy of the item I brought up - his comments:

"..now as for all the bullies ......I have said it before and I will say it again......." It is Mind over Matter "........" I Don`t Mind and you Don`t Matter".....

I'll concede you have a point there.

Like I said and I will stand by, John is better than this. Proof is in his vintage drag and LSR builds. NO HOSTILITY was meant.

This is exactly why it's unnecessary to even comment on this build's inaccuracies. You KNOW John can build anything, so if he CHOOSES to build it this way, then go with it. At this point it's not constructive because John is a top-notch builder (and one of the nicest, sincerest guys you'll ever hope to meet), so what exactly are your comments going to improve upon?

Doctor Cranky, who is also a great builder, builds fantasy builds all the time, but I don't see these kinds of criticisms on his posts. What's the difference?

Perhaps, Art, it is that BECAUSE John can and does build better, that I have come to expect that from him. Maybe THAT is my point. But alas, points wasted.

This build will go on with or without my comments, and will likely go on without any comments from anybody. Too bad honesty doesn't go too well here.

Edited by whale392

Hey guys.

I am really new here on the forum and don't know any of you. Honestly, I have no idea who Mr Teresi is or what has he achieved in the past. But as someone watching from the side, I can't see how ones personal preferences of building, affects common model building principles. I have build some crazy nonexistent stuff, but never made them with square tires. I never attempted to put an 8 cylinder distributor on a 6 cylinder engine either. And I believe that is what some people here are trying to say. No matter what are you building, some things are just "set in stone" so to speak.

Now that I have given my worthless 2 cents, I would like to say, that it does not suit any of you to act like six graders exchanging smart remarks and pointing fingers. IMO you are beating a dead horse right now and should just let it go. Just think how many distributors you could have wired for the time spent in here. :rolleyes:

Jon, like Ken said in a previous post (and with which a agree 100%)... you post your work on a public forum, and it's fair game for comments from the public... pro and con.

There is absolutely no problem with anyone "daring" to criticize John's work. I've even criticized his work myself!

It's the level of apparent hostility being directed towards him that surprises me.

First off, I want this to be clearly noted, MY STATEMENT I AM ABOUT TO MAKE IS MEANT TO HAVE NO HOSTILITY TOWARDS JOHN AT ALL, JUST MERELY COMMENT ON OTHER COMMENTS I'VE READ HERE TODAY!

There have been many comments, first off, on John's skill level and reputation as a builder and John even stated he is not a NASCAR builder and that he was not going for accuracy. Even with that, looking back through everything said and the pic of the model I see it this way, there are flaws that have been pointed out already, using the brake discs and lug spacing on the rear as an example, that builders of the caliber of John just are not expected to make, whether it is a build "out of the comfort zone" or not. It's still basically just a car, yes a purpose built car, but still a car regardless. I'm sure no matter the builder or vehicle being built that would have been brought up sooner or later.

Second, on the detailing subject, it has been brought up about how much was spent on the detail products. What does that really matter? :rolleyes: Whether you spend $20 and put it on a well built model and using just merely to enhance the detail of the model or you spend $100 and throw it on haphazzardly just to add "bling", in my opinion the $20 was well spent and the $100 was wasted just to add to the "wow" factor.

Moreover, again looking back again at the photos with an unbiased eye, there were just a few things in the detailing department that caught my eye. The biggest was the braided line coming from the top of the alternator. Did anyone else happen to notice that line runs back along the rollbars to the firewall, makes a right turn (as you look at the pic) and continues along the firewall, then turns and follows the forward section of the rollcage and goes directly into the top of the power steering pump!?!? :lol::lol::lol: I'm sorry, but I have never seen any form of automobile where the charging and power steering system have been connected! It also appears to me some decals have just been added for extra "bling", as was mentioned (I think) about the "Wrangler" decal on the driveshaft, I thought they just made clothing! I also noticed a "The Wax Shop" decal on the oil filter when there is a much more appropriate "Wix Filters" decal on the nose of the Earnhardt Jr donor kit!

Lastly, my views of the whole "hosititly" versus "I build for myself" agrument, because I feel these tend to go hand in hand. The "hostility" issue, at least from my point of view, wasn't even an issue until the whole "I build for myself" card was played. I feel the posts relating to valid points on building or general detailing that could be done on any model regardless of subject were as contructive criticism, not "hostility". If this was my thread and not John's, those posts would probably make me sit down at the bench and start questioning myself or even make me say "Huh, maybe I should rethink this." or "You know, looking back at it, maybe (insert a poster's name here) has a point, that doesn't look right. How did I miss something like that!?!?". Maybe I have a thicker skin than some, but even though "I build for myself", I will ALWAYS take the time to rethink something if an issue is brought up! By the way, I never have or never use the "I build for myself" excuse, because I build for the harshest critic I have EVER found, THE LITTLE VOICE THAT LIVES IN MY HEAD!! :lol:

Guest Johnny

Hey John what ever you dream it to be it is or can be! Your build done your way!:P.

While there is some truth and you even agreed when you post it opens up the door for criticism but this just goes WAY over the top.

Edited by Johnny

Whatever your opinion, it's probably been said over and over, so...... let it go guys and let John finish this incredibly detailed build... right or wrong. I, for one, am dying to see it in paint. (That's if John is still inclined to continue posting on this forum.... I sure hope so.)

Hello......I would like to start by saying I am sorry for all the trouble I started today....... and all the mistakes that were pointed out on this build.........I should have taken like a man instead of a little school girl........I apologize .......I hope we can put this all behind us?......anyway I got primer and putty on the body......I will sand the body tomorrow and probably put a little more putty and another coat of primer........then I will lay down the base coat.......thank`s for looking.

DSCF9042.jpg

DSCF9028.jpg

DSCF9037.jpg

DSCF9039.jpg

DSCF9041.jpg

DSCF9033.jpg

DSCF9031.jpg

DSCF9044.jpg

DSCF9045.jpg

Talk about tone deaf

After all the thankless effort by Stoneman, whale392, Wheelman, niteowl7710, khart and DoubleD to get your head right, you turn around and use white putty over gray primer.

you'll never work in this town again, pal !

Totally off (or on?) subject...... has anyone ever noticed how "Camaro like" the Matador looks from the side (maybe because the oversize wheels make the Matador body look smaller than the size of car that it really was)? And the front end definitely looks "Pinto-ish".

(I hope this comment won't start another Chevy-Ford-Chrysler-AMC argument. This is definitely not a comment on John's building skills!)

Tony

Edited by GTMust

I have no issue with the build, as a fantasy build, with one caveat. I sincerely hope it doesn't get painted in Penske/Allison livery. If it does then people who don't know much about historic NASCAR will assume that since the builder put so much time and effort into the super detailing then that must be the way the actual cars were done. That would be a shame.

John I think your doing a great job on the build. If this is your way of doing "unrealistic & questionable" I like it. Some folks cant build their best model this bad. Sure I or anyone else could nit-pick any model on a public forum. I've seen poor detailing, over detailing, etc look and display poorly get 10x the praise (friends stroking friends). But, this build whether questionable or not so far is displaying wonderfully (IMO). Keep up the good work.