Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Plymouth Hemi Barracuda

Drake69

After a long wait I've finally been able to get this project started. Kit is the '71 Hemi Cuda Street Machine from Revell, front grille and taillights from DENCON Resin, wheels and center caps came from a Dodge 330 Lindberg kit, paint is Modelmaster One-Coat Lacquer Revving Red, decals by Keith Marks, and PE detail from MCG (left over from the last '71 Cuda and '70 Challenger PE sheets...).

Air filter is parts box, will have the "440 Super Commando" round decal placed on it later...

Cuda01.jpg

Cuda02.jpg

Right away I ran into trouble with the primer I had picked. Ordinarily, I would be using Tamiya Primer and nothing else, but there is none to be found here or anywhere (supposedly!), so on suggestion I tried to use Krylon primer. Never will do that again, let me tell you. Secondly, since the "shark gills" on the side fenders need to be removed, I used Squadron putty and lots of sanding to get her smoothed out, or so I thought (more on that later...). And lastly, the grille did not sit tightly in the front, causing the valences to look even more "buck-toothed" than usual, so I used Milliput behind the grille and valences followed by Squadron to line them up.

EVERYTHING SHOWED UP ONCE THE PRIMER HIT, VALENCES STARTED CRACKING, AND ALLIGATOR MOTTLING ALL IN THE PRIMER AND THROUGH THE TAMIYA DULL RED I HAD SPRAYED ON AFTERWARDS...

100_3213.jpg

100_3214.jpg

100_3215.jpg

So, 4- and 5-letter words shouted in lieu of taking a hammer to it, I sanded it all down with 400 grit paper, sprayed Tamiya Flat Black to cover as much as I could, sanded again with 2000 grit paper, then hit the car with the red lacquer...

MUCH BETTER....

Cuda20.jpg

Cuda21.jpg

Cuda22.jpg

And lastly, a few shots of the interior.....

Cuda23.jpg

Cuda24.jpg

Boldly going onward....

Yeah, I probably could've smoothed it out more, but it's far better than what it would have been if I gave up. B) The dash is actually a decal included in this kit, otherwise I would have painted it brown with yellow stain.

Really great start! Wheel choice is perfect. Those are looking very good with that body. Also very nice to see '70 Barracuda being built, not always the '71 which is not as nice as this. Those seat belts are looking bit weird... I've just glued the belts between the seat and door panel. They are looking much more realistic so, but you can't see those so well when the body is on, so it's most inportant thing that they look good on the seats.

hey allan, thats off to a good start, i love those no nonsence street brawler cars and any mopar muscle car looks good on steelies

what im afraid wont look good is a 440 aircleaner on a 426 hemi engine :lol:

if you want me to i can check my stash for a decal with the right call out

(i know i dont have the right aircleaner but i might have the decal)

also, im very impressed with the flocking, that is one thing i just can not get right no matter what i do

Really great start! Wheel choice is perfect. Those are looking very good with that body. Also very nice to see '70 Barracuda being built, not always the '71 which is not as nice as this. Those seat belts are looking bit weird... I've just glued the belts between the seat and door panel. They are looking much more realistic so, but you can't see those so well when the body is on, so it's most inportant thing that they look good on the seats.

I'm going to glue those down a bit behind the seats so the belt material won't look so "looped". They won't be visible when the body is on but they will definitely pass muster.

hey allan, thats off to a good start, i love those no nonsence street brawler cars and any mopar muscle car looks good on steelies

what im afraid wont look good is a 440 aircleaner on a 426 hemi engine B)

if you want me to i can check my stash for a decal with the right call out

(i know i dont have the right aircleaner but i might have the decal)

also, im very impressed with the flocking, that is one thing i just can not get right no matter what i do

The carpet is actually black felt, not flocking. I can't flock worth a darn either. And funny you should mention the air filter. I lost my pic I had showing a black air filter with "stick-outs" on a Hemi engine, so I can't use it as a reference point anymore. And since I didn't have a chrome 2-bolt air filter I was wrestling with what to do about the block. I rumaged through my Dodge/Plymouth kits for a curved "426 Hemi Head" decal and found one from another Keith Marks decal sheet. Bleeping lucky!

And... thanks Keith for coming through again for me....

BUT, I would then have to probably clip the filter nozzles and try and putty up something remotely passable for a Hemi filter, which would translate to more work. Since all the Dodge kits I had were Chargers (round air filters), I decided to go back through my parts bin to check to see if I had a 2-bolt oblong Hemi air filter, which because of the large amount of Dodges/Plymouths I've already built would be a miracle.

Gentlemen, perceive the miracle....

Cuda25.jpg

AND a clean removal of the old air filter without damage....

Cuda26.jpg

SO. With the Keith Marks "426 HEMI" decal I'll be set. I'll use the "HEMI" hockey sticks on the side of the body instead of the inaccurate "440" ones I had planned on and be good to go. Another lucky thing happened out of all this. The PE details I have left over from the Cuda and Challenger kits had another set of "426" plated badging for the engine manifolds, just like the ones I put on the Phantasm Cuda. I can no longer use the "440 MAGNUM" PE emblems on the power bulge hood, but I can use the "HEMICUDA" ones. Nice.

Ohh, and BMF completely done on the windows. Rear panel is painted semi-gloss black and is drying, '70's taillights glued down in place and waiting for silver trim to be painted in followed by clear red paint for the lights. BMF will go around the panel just as in the 1:1 car, and the decal sheet for the kit actually has a decent " 'cuda [by PLYMOUTH] " decal and trunk lock decal for the back.

Cuda27.jpg

Soldiering on....

Edited by Drake69

You know, that air cleaner is for a 440 six pack. I have a chrome 426 two wingnut air cleaner. Its all yours if needed. Pm me if you want it.

If you can, snap a quick pic of it so I can see what it looks like. If it's the one I think it is, I'll take it!

Here is my dilema...

IMG-20110609-00062.jpg

IMG-20110609-00064.jpg

IMG-20110609-00066.jpg

Because I'm using the power bulge hood I have little clearance underneath. I can fit the white air filter under there but not this chrome one that I believe might be correct for the 426.

Some shots with the hood on...

IMG-20110609-00067.jpg

IMG-20110609-00069.jpg

If the round chrome air filter will fit over both carbs AND clear the hood, then with the curved "426 Hemi Head" decal I found I'll be good to go. I'll PM you my address info.

Edited by Drake69

The carpet is actually black felt, not flocking. I can't flock worth a darn either. And funny you should mention the air filter. I lost my pic I had showing a black air filter with "stick-outs" on a Hemi engine, so I can't use it as a reference point anymore. And since I didn't have a chrome 2-bolt air filter I was wrestling with what to do about the block. I rumaged through my Dodge/Plymouth kits for a curved "426 Hemi Head" decal and found one from another Keith Marks decal sheet. Bleeping lucky!

you mean this picture ?

Cuda01.jpg

you know, that chrome round airfilter (i think it came with the 69 charger hemi engine) fits pretty flush, but if it doesnt you should consider putting in aftermarket airfliters, the small triangular ones that came with the 71 pro street superbee for instance

Actually, I have another fallback. If what MM doesn't work I found a chrome round hemi filter in the '68 Charger RT kit. It has open diaphragms for the carbs but it is definitely for the 426 hemi engine, as a choice of build rather than the stock 440. So either way I'll be good!

Really no need to worry about being "correct" with the air cleaner- factory Hemi cars included the Shaker hood with the engine option :D

A bit of a period hot-rodded look under the hood might go well with the sleeper exterior

Kind of has the look of a clean 318 base model that someone put together back in the day to win a few bucks street racing

It does look like that, don't it? B)

New pics of my progress...

426 PE badges on the manifold (hard to see with the flash), need a little paint touchup...

IMG-20110610-00085.jpg

Keys in the ignition...

IMG-20110610-00088.jpg

Some details in the grille...

IMG-20110610-00093.jpg

And rear area...

IMG-20110610-00094.jpg

Engine bay coming along nicely....

IMG-20110610-00095.jpg

And because I wanted it....

IMG-20110610-00096.jpg

Other details include, PE door handles, Chrysler PE star, side marker decals in red and yellow, and Detailer Black to cut down the chrome silver in the grille.

That's coming out very nicely.

For primer, I would suggest moving to Plasti-Kote or Dupli-Color. It works much better than most of the other primers. I personally wouldn't pay Tamiya's prices when I get very good results with the automotive products.

Charlie Larkin

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...