Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to attach rear view mirror to windshield?

I've got an F250 kit that needs the rear view mirror glued to the inside of the windshield, any suggestions how to do that? I'm thinking about dipping the windshield in Future anyway, will a dot of Future hold the mirror on? Better alternatives? Thanks.

Small drop of 5 minute epoxy then wait until the epoxy is getting stringy before applying it to the window. You'll only have one change to get it right but fortunately epoxy is fairly easy to clean off plastic.

rob

This one I am not familiar with. It is white glue? Any problems with glue failure over time? Am I correct that the Testors purple is also white glue?

I've been using Micro Krystal Kleer for years and have never had any interior mirrors or windows fail. I also use it for outside (door) rear view mirrors and the only failures are from getting bumped off and even then it takes more pressure than you would think and doesn't damage the paint underneith.

I use the windshield glue from Testors. It works very well for me. I would recommend modifying the kit piece before attempting to glue it on. Maybe add a small piece of wire for the stem and a piece of square styrene for the base that glues to the windshield. That little bitty nub on the kit piece makes it a major pain to glue to the windshield!