Model Cars Magazine Forum

Info needed on building material

Kaleb

Im wanting to build a scale shop of the business I once dreamed of starting. Its going to be a steel beam with metal skin and roof. There will be room and paint booth on the inside. Where can or can I find such material? Second thing is I have been trying to scale the size of shop I wanted to build and the stinking Iphone app is going to drive me crazy. I don't believe I have it right.

This is the measurements I would like to have in 1:1 is 55x40, the app gave me 27.5 x 20 inches is this even close?

Other than that I want the concrete look for the floor, and material used for the garage doors. Ive been watching some others but not closely Ill be pouring over them again.

If you're building 1/24 scale then use the method that every 1'-0" in real life is 1/2" in scale. So 55' x 40' would be 27.5" x 20". To quickly calculate, take the feet x 12 and divide by 24 (ie. 55 x 12 = 660" divided by 24 = 27.5"). It's easier in 1/24 scale as every 1/2" on your ruler (or scale) is 1'-0" in real life.

If you're working in 1/25 scale it gets a little more complicated to measure but the principle is the same. (ie. 55 x 12 = 660" divided by 25 = 26.4"). Always use decimals to calculate (ie, 55'-6" would be 55.5')

As far as materials are concerned, check out the web sites of Plastrut and Evergreen plastics. They have just about every type of styrene shapes and sheets you can imagine. Another site is Model Builders Supply.

Hope this helps.

Tony

If you're going to be building in 1/24 scale, get yourself an architects scale. It's one of those 3 sided rulers, sold in office supply and some craft stores. It has a scale on it marked 1/2. You can use that to directly measure in feet and inches. It's not as cool as an iphone, but it won't drive you crazy, and it never needs recharging! (Also, no math required! ;))

A iphone app just to scale something? :) Well, it did give you correct dimensions.

I'm an engineer and created building construction plans all my life ... heed basher and GTMust and you can't go wrong.

Then, just use the iphone as a ... (revelation) pnone. :)

Edited by Foxer

Ill check out those sites, thank you. As far as the app goes it has everything just about, even mixing colors lol its called "imodelkit" While I am just figuring out how scale works, it has helped. Now I just calculate it in my head and sometimes use a calculator. As far as the ruler goes, we use them on jobs to read blueprints(rarely) most of the time its just by tape measure since we don't work commercial. Thanks for all the help so far it will get me started...next step is to find the room for this monster.

For Concrete i took Floquill concrete and painted a 2.0x2.0 pc of styrene. I took this to a Lowe`s store and they mixed me a pint to match. I used this combo on "Pop`s Texaco":

Dio012-1.jpg

Dio018-2.jpg

Have them mix it in a Flat Latex. I rolled it on with a small roller and dusted it with pastels and fine sifted dirt.

I used evergreen strips to make the h beams in the building.

Plastistruct sells all sorts of goodies in "G" scale.....darn close. more like 1/22.5 scale but for roofs, siding and bricks it will work (RR Store B) )

and that size will make for a large base!! I've started a 3 stall garage its base is 19" x 12"...and thats just one biulding..no dumpster even!

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC