Model Cars Magazine Forum

Applying Putty?

I have found that the cardboard from cereal boxes is just the right thing to use as a squeegee.! I've struggled with applying putty for body work. The putty always seems to go on too thick. I'm not a fan of sanding. The cardboard is thick enough that it won't bend when you apply pressure to get the putty thin. The cardboard is also thin enough that you can bend it around curves. You can also cut different shapes if need be. I also use big sections of it to mix putties and epoxies. Just a little something I stumbled across and thought I'd contribute.

Happy modeling!

ive known about the cereal ones for some time, i use old modelcar boxes for mine as i dont eat that much cereal.

ill add my own tip if youre cool with it

instead of reeking up the whole house with the smell of filler to patch one low spot on a kit i use a syringe filled with putty and disperse a dime at a time so that way i dont over mix or make a mess. i mix all my putty in a pringles or flexible cookie lid.

qSIPv.jpg

ive known about the cereal ones for some time, i use old modelcar boxes for mine as i dont eat that much cereal.

ill add my own tip if youre cool with it

instead of reeking up the whole house with the smell of filler to patch one low spot on a kit i use a syringe filled with putty and disperse a dime at a time so that way i dont over mix or make a mess. i mix all my putty in a pringles or flexible cookie lid.

qSIPv.jpg

Whats the shelf life of the filler sitting in the syringe?

For small areas, I apply putty with used #11 X-Acto blades in my #1 handle. When they're beyond useful as very sharp things, they still make nice 'precision' putty spreaders.

Cleanup is a snap too: after the putty has dried on the blade, I hit it with an emery board on both sides and it's ready to go again.

I like the cereal box idea. I might give that a shot. Our bread usually has twist-ties on it (which I sometimes strip if I need really thin wire for something.)

After my unemployment and my parents' medical bills, our credit is so chewed up, we don't even get the fake credit cards anymore.... :lol:

Charlie Larkin