Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why Do They Do Thta?

I was cruising eBay looking for a pro-stock Thunderbird to serve as a donor kit for a build I want to do, and I noticed that the pro-street car (similar to the pro-stock version) was molded in pink.

I went out yesterday and got a AMT Pro-Street Nova to serve as a donor kit for another build I want to do, and when I opened the box, I was totally surprised to see the thing molded in light blue.

Why the heck did they do that?

Another observation - you see all kinds of built-ups available for sale, but I have yet to see one of the Glidden T-Birds (or even the pro-street car). I wonder why that is...

I wish Revell would reissue the glidden 'bird, if for no other reason than to take the wind out of sails of the ebay scalpers... $50 for a freaking model kit?

Edited by jsimmons

I was cruising eBay looking for a pro-stock Thunderbird to serve as a donor kit for a build I want to do, and I noticed that the pro-street car (similar to the pro-stock version) was molded in pink.

I went out yesterday and got a AMT Pro-Street Nova to serve as a donor kit for another build I want to do, and when I opened the box, I was totally surprised to see the thing molded in light blue.

Why the heck did they do that?

Well John, at least on the issue of the pro-street Matt & Debbie Hays T-Bird, I'd probably say with 99.9% certainty why Revell molded the kit in pink was because the car the kit was modeled after was pink! As for the AMT Nova, I was quite shocked when I opened the box to mine to see the light blue staring at me too. I have no clue in this day and age why they did that. My guess is someone at AMT thought it was a good idea or maybe they ran out of gray coloring for the plastic, or maybe just the one in charge of the coloring was smoking something good!! B)

Also John, while that Revell T-Bird is similar in appearance to the pro stock version, that is all it has similar. If you are looking for a donor for a race only pro stock car, stick with the race only pro-stock kits and forget the Matt & Debbie Hays T-bird or it's sister kit Lincoln LSC even exists. The hays T-Bird and LSC have a twin (if I remember correctly) front mounted supercharger engine, full interior panels and treaded rear tires. The pro-stock T-Birds would be my only choice for a full race only donor.

By the way, what are you looking for exactly out of the kits?? I have this version,

HPIM1638.jpg

even though I don't know if it is a complete kit or a parts kit or if it is another kit of this series that I have parts for without digging them out, but I MIGHT be able to help you out. If you would be interested, PM me and I'll start digging though the stash.

EDIT:By the way John, I noticed this one says "Pro Street" on the box too, but this and the other kits in that series, a Trans Am and Camaro, were all based off the pro-stock kits of the time. They were far from true "Pro Street" cars!! <_<

Edited by highway

I really hate molded in color.

What's the point?? It only makes it harder to paint.

But it sells a LOT more kits to kids who can't paint and new hobbyists who don't want to paint but also don't want a shelf full of all white or all beige models. It's all about selling as many kits as possible.

:huh:

I thought the Revell Matt & Debbie Hay Pro Street T-bird kit shares most of its parts with the Revell Lincoln LSC kit? I'm sure some body parts are shared with the newest Bob Glidden P/S kit, and maybe the main chassis, but the engine was a 351 IIRC.

I don't see the color issue being a big deal. We all should know how to prevent bleed through after being members here for a few weeks, and as stated above, not everyone paints thier models. :huh:

I thought the Revell Matt & Debbie Hay Pro Street T-bird kit shares most of its parts with the Revell Lincoln LSC kit? I'm sure some body parts are shared with the newest Bob Glidden P/S kit, and maybe the main chassis, but the engine was a 351 IIRC.

Is there an echo in here!?!?! :huh::D

I'm just pulling your chain a little Casey, and you are correct on the two kits as well. The only real difference in the two kits are the bodies themselves, and maybe the dashbards, but other than that, the kits are exactly the same. The engine in both are a small block Ford engine with an automatic transmission.

pretty sure that the Glidden pro stock kit shares nothing with the pro street Thunderbird or LSC. i think both of those two kits share a majority of parts that are unique to just those two.

the later Glidden pro stock Thunderbird is on the same 1/24 scale chassis as the Monogram Thunderbird pro stockers

You are correct on both parts, Dave. As I mentioned in reply to Casey's post above, the Hay's Pro Street T-Bird and Lincoln are basically the same kit with different bodies, and they share nothing with the pro-stock or pro-stock based pro-street kit I posted the pic of earlier. I compared both kits shortly after my first post and there is nothing in common.

By the way, just for reference, the Monogram pro-stock kits and so called pro-street car in my pic are 1/24 scale and the Hay's T-Bird/Lincoln LSC kit is 1/25.

Is there an echo in here!?!?! :lol::P

I'm just pulling your chain a little Casey, and you are correct on the two kits as well. The only real difference in the two kits are the bodies themselves, and maybe the dashbards, but other than that, the kits are exactly the same. The engine in both are a small block Ford engine with an automatic transmission.

You are correct on both parts, Dave. As I mentioned in reply to Casey's post above, the Hay's Pro Street T-Bird and Lincoln are basically the same kit with different bodies, and they share nothing with the pro-stock or pro-stock based pro-street kit I posted the pic of earlier. I compared both kits shortly after my first post and there is nothing in common.

By the way, just for reference, the Monogram pro-stock kits and so called pro-street car in my pic are 1/24 scale and the Hay's T-Bird/Lincoln LSC kit is 1/25.

I'm not sure that Revell recognizes all of the scale subtleties. I was fishing around in some Mustang kits, and they put the same wheels/tires in all of them. At the same time, the Revell 69 Shelby is narrower than the Boss 429 so they at least got that part of the scale thing right.