Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Henry J

crazyjim

I didn't want the kit build gas coupe so I tried to make this little Henry J into a street machine. Headers are made from solder and then I drilled the collectors and added a streetable exhaust system. The interior is flocked, a set of resin seats from Crazy Scale Auto Parts, and added extra support to the roll bar. A large rear bumper was substituted for the wheelie bars. Wheels & tires came from the parts bin. Finished in HOK candy wild cherry that was wet sanded, rubbed out with Novus #2, and waxed with The Treatment Model Car Wax. This was my first attempt at throttle linkage - I have a ways to go.

100_3237.jpg

100_3252.jpg

100_3250.jpg

100_3251.jpg

100_3253.jpg

Thank you for the comments.

I use a small tripod, jbwelda. Maybe I'm trying to get too close? I loaded yesterday's pics into the Kodak software and tried zooming, cropping, enhance, remove red eye, and the pics lokked the same or worse - more blurry. I shall continue experimenting. Sure am glad the camera is digital.

Great job Jim! Love the color you chose.

There's one of these that runs around in my area, driven by an older gentleman & his wife, kinda in the rat rod style, gets LOTS of looks!

Can't wait to build mine, but I'm gluing the doors shut, they look like trouble! :lol:

Thanks, Jeff. Can't go wrong with HOK paints.

Might be a good idea to glue on the doors. The kit doors/hinges just kind of flop when open. Next time I'll try the Evergreen tubing and wire hinge. Yes, I have another Henry J in my stash.

Go for it Hertsi! The next one I do will probably have a different engine; clear lens headlights; maybe '59 Caddy taillights and a different rear suspension. The kit front suspension brings the front way up high, so I put the axle on top of the springs instead of underneath. That dropped the front end a little. Lots of possibilities on this kit. BEWARE of the kit door hinges - they're garbage!!