Model Cars Magazine Forum

Firebird SD-455

bsoder

You did a VERY good job!!! Way to go!!

But to those also doing one, or thinking of doing one a suggestion:

How about one in Green to replicate the car, "The Duke" John Wayne drove in the movie McQ??

I would do one, but I already have way TOO MANY darn projects !!!:D

Beautiful build, although it is a T/A(your build that is) and not a Firebird, I may have read your description wrong(although the article shows a Firebird).

You matched the paint and wheels perfectly. I would have sanded the wheel spoilers and rear spoiler off. Filled the fender vents an voila, Your SD-455 Firebird(or at least really darn close).

I wish you would have told me you were building one, I would have sent you some original SD-455 engine paint. Its more of a gray-blue than the regular blues Pontiac used in the day.

Again, excellent work!

Thanks for sharing!

Chris

You did a VERY good job!!! Way to go!!

But to those also doing one, or thinking of doing one a suggestion:

How about one in Green to replicate the car, "The Duke" John Wayne drove in the movie McQ??

I would do one, but I already have way TOO MANY darn projects !!!:D

I was actually thinking of building one myself....

i believe it's a brewster green car..

The McQ car was a Brewster Green car. I believe they used two of them in the movie. When the car starts getting mauled in the alley by the garbage trucks, it is hard to watch.

To this day I don't think anyone knows if they actually used a real SD-455 in that scene or if it was a "regular" 455 with the shaker decals changed.

Chris

Hey Chris..I'll keep that paint thing in mind!..I mixed olds engine light blue with some gray..but your right it's still to blue and yes the SD-455 was based on the Formula Firebird,and the reason it carried the "Shaker" hood and airscoop from the T/A was for emissions recertification..in hindsight I probably should have done the bodywork...but I was only "loosely" basing it on that car and not trying to replicate it..and now that I know the kit is decent maybe I'll do one "correct" :D:D

• 4 months later...