Model Cars Magazine Forum

Master painters: Stripping paint to return to perfect molded color

I just received the original Gold Cup issue of Jo-Han's superb Mercedes 500K coupe, which was molded in the perfect color. There are no seam lines, sink marks, difficult flash or ejector pin marks visible anywhere on the body. This is really a stunning kit with amazing detail and accuracy for a 1/25 model. There are only some tiny inaccuracies that are easily dealt with.

However, the eBay seller said it was molded in two shades of maroon. The fact is, the hood and the fenders have been painted. The main body shell is perfect, with no scratches, and I would prefer to keep the bare plastic exterior and only polish it or coat it with Future. Before I make a mistake while stripping the paint down to the bare plastic, are there any suggestions for bringing it back to its original molded color without harm? I use Purple Power with great success, but never with the idea of going back to the original plastic.

Edited by sjordan2

I was going to offer advice, but I'm no 'master painter;' just a talentless hack

Somehow this phrase keeps trailing me. Let me set the record straight.

I have been accused, falsely, of having described one or more of our colleagues as being a "talentless hack" in one of my posts. I wouldn't bring this issue up, except this phrase continues to appear from time to time, as it has here in a snide way.

I challenged one of our members who accused me of this statement (who no longer participates here) to prove it, and to post a public apology. He replied to me that he had misread one of my posts and gave me a personal apology, but would not post it on this forum. Same for one more guy.

• I have never said or even IMPLIED such a thing about anyone here, or even negatively criticized anyone's building capabilities.

• I would never even think of saying such a thing.

I am so tired of this stupidity.

Go ahead and find a quote where I ever said this about anyone (other than myself). After you fail, I dare you to post a public apology.

Edited by sjordan2

Holy Cow, Skip.... Hold a grudge much?

IIRC - I was the one that referred to MYSELF as a talentless hack, in the very topic that you refer to... you know - the one where everything got blown out of proportion because of stubbornness & lack of agreement on everything? I think others took the term & ran w/ it after that.

That water has flowed so far under the bridge it's made it back to the ocean by now.

Let it go, man.

As far as ON TOPIC here about paint removal. It would help to know what the Paint is first. as in what kind (enamel / lacquer/ dye etc.)

Here is an example of one I bought assembled & decided to strip:

DSC02019.jpg

that's it before disassembly.

After taking a swim in a bucket of Super Clean - the body came out like this:

alfa001.jpg

Shiny, Clean, almost virgin plastic.

1.Yeah, I agree, it's time to let it go. I just wish it would stop showing up.

2. Thanks for posting this very nice strip job. CSC seems like a pretty good alternative (I'm particularly attracted to this example because I used to own a 1:1 Giulietta Spider Veloce). As for the type of paint I need to strip, I really can't tell. I received the kit with a painted hood and fender assembly, which have a small amount of orange peel and actually is a tiny bit tacky (enamel?).

no one is talentless, just not as good as some, and not a single person on this forum is 100% ;)

As for stripping paint , i use brake fluid as we dont have 90% of the products you guys mention , here in the UK and oven cleaner is too strong a smell for me to use in our spare room, so brake fluid it is for me :rolleyes:

and if anyone is a talentless hach, then that is my discription :P:DB)

Edited by PeterC(MrMondeo)

I've used brake fluid,super clean degreaser for years now....just want to make sure the super clean dose not dry on the bare plastic this may or may not leave a film on the plastic or haze. Never had ether one harm them beyond use again when stripping old paint off. I have had oven cleaner etch the plastic before though and wont use it anymore myself....the other two can handle about any paints depending on how old or used you chemicals are?

Could you please explain this comment in greater detail?

Skip, lighten up a tad...it wasn't meant to bunch your panties up that much. I was just making light of the fact that you called upon only the master painters for paint stripping advice....wouldn't it make more sense to ask the bad painters how to strip paint, as the masters generally don't have to do it? :)

All kidding/jabbing aside, I'd try either CSC or the Power Dissolver idea; follow that up with a mild polish for plastics, like Meguiar's 'Scratch X' or Bare Metal's plastic polish.

....wouldn't it make more sense to ask the bad painters how to strip paint, as the masters generally don't have to do it?

Kinda what I was thinking...

I use CSC, but I think mine is getting old/weak and will need to be replaced. Haven't had any issues with oven cleaner, but I generally use it to strip chrome, not paint. I also use 91% alcohol to strip Tamiya paint.

Skip, lighten up a tad...it wasn't meant to bunch your panties up that much. I was just making light of the fact that you called upon only the master painters for paint stripping advice....wouldn't it make more sense to ask the bad painters how to strip paint, as the masters generally don't have to do it? :o

All kidding/jabbing aside, I'd try either CSC or the Power Dissolver idea; follow that up with a mild polish for plastics, like Meguiar's 'Scratch X' or Bare Metal's plastic polish.

Yeah, I was thinking of Scratch-X, too, but I wanted information from more experienced builders than I am, who have dealt with this in the past, before I went out and spent a bunch of money on alternatives or messed up the plastic. Thanks. Your suggestions seem to be the way to go.

Edited by sjordan2

just want to make sure the super clean dose not dry on the bare plastic this may or may not leave a film on the plastic or haze.

Something I've discovered that helps prevent that, or takes the film off if it does dry on the plastic, is a quick soak in 91% alcohol.

I use Super Clean for most of my stripping chores, so far, it's never failed me.