Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980's Toyota Celica-Supra WIP *engine bay/firewall detailed!*

brodie_83

The dragon build is still on hold due to the paint not stripping very fast on the body parts and just plain old too busy. I would like to finish the engine up (for the last time) and then once it's finished, I'm putting it in a plastic bag so nothing else can harm it. LoL I suppose I should do that to the interior tub before something happens to that too! *knock on wood*

Alright, today I figured I might as well try running hot water over the body to see if the stuff falls off. With surprise, it did! I need to buy a crappy toothbrush and scrub the details better, but for the most part, I got all of the crud off. There is a white film over everything...I wonder if that's from the primer? I dunno...so I got that done, the hood done, and the wheels no longer have the chrome gunk in the details...down to bare plastic! I also repainted the valve covers with spray paint this time (brush painted them last time) and the silver detail painting came out much better than the first time. Then I glued the timing cover back on. Now all I need to do is to re-glue the ignition wires in, and finish it up with the distributor. Then I'll start from scratch on the body. Going to use the same Duplicolor paint, but will use U-Pol #1 Clear clear coat over it instead of the Duplicolor stuff. The U-Pol clear should lay out much nicer and give a better gloss level right from the can. I'm hoping to do minimal sanding/buffing, thus putting a few extra coats of clear just in case ;)

2011-10-10_18-03-07_956.jpg

2011-10-10_18-04-01_170.jpg

2011-10-10_18-25-57_256.jpg

2011-10-10_18-26-25_511.jpg

Sorry for the delay...I've been busy with making up with my gf and work and such. Anyways, I finally got the ignition wires and distributor wired all up and it looks good! I'm very pleased with the outcome. I also cleaned up the body and wheels a little more with a crappy toothbrush and some dish soap. Not sure how else to clean it...maybe with some toothpaste? Dunno...if anyone has some suggestions on how to clean that plastic up better, lemme know. Tonight's progress:

002-4.jpg

008-7.jpg

009-8.jpg

004-6.jpg

006-8.jpg

010-10.jpg

012-7.jpg

014-6.jpg

I'm hoping to get it at least in primer this weekend...painting might be an issue because I usually paint in the garage, but it's getting cold. At least I can shoot it in the garage and bring it into the furnace room where it's nice and toasty. We'll see how things go. I'd like to try a different primer too...I was thinking Tamiya, but not sure how the Duplicolor color coats would react with it. Anyone have any luck with Tamiya primer under Duplicolor paint?

I talked to a guy at Hobbytown today and he told me to try Krylon white primer, so I picked up a can, as well as Rustoleum's Gunmetal...apparently Rustoleum is the only thing that Advance Auto Parts carries now. Now I'm going to have to strip the bumpers so the color matches. Ugh...oh well. I picked up a few new kits while at Hobbytown as well...a 1970 Super Bee and a Chevrolet S10 Syclone. I've wanted to build these both for a while, so I snatched them up. First comes the Celica-Supra though...

As of right now, I'm stripping the front/rear bumpers and I went over the body, moonroof cover, hood and wheels with a cheap toothbrush and toothpaste. I have a lil bit more sanding to do on the moonroof cover, then I'll glue it on the body and get everything in primer. I also ordered a Nesco FD-60 dehydrator for quick-drying future paint work. I just got back from Walmart and bought a couple hockey pucks and metal clothes hangers to make a paint stand. I also bought some popsicle sticks and toothpicks for more paint work help. Now...let's see if I can get the car finished without any screw-ups this time!

• 11 months later...

You know what? I think this kit has sat in the closet long enough...I'm reviving this tomorrow and am determined to finish it within the next month! I bought some Tamiya primer and paint to use this time...not sure what I'm going to use for clear, but I might have to run to the paint store and buy a can of U-POL's #1 Clear. That stuff is amazing! I might have some Tamiya clear though too...I gotta look.

Today I decided to try to paint the friggin body for the 3rd time, this time using Tamiya primer and paint. I just shot the first coat of primer after letting it sit in warm water for a minute. I'll go shoot another coat of primer in a lil bit. I'm kinda excited to see how the Tamiya paint lays out...I've heard nothing but good stuff about it!

Primer is on and awaiting paint...after it's sat for a few hours in the dehydrator. I friggin love that thing! It's the best $35 I've spent on any modeling equipment! I'm also in love with Tamiya primer, as it covers really well, but not too much where it wipes out the details.

2012-11-03_12-19-42_473.jpg

2012-11-03_12-20-01_184.jpg

Well I polished the bare Tamiya paint and it came out pretty decent. Not like glass, but these cars never had "like glass" paint from the beginning, so I'm fine with it. It looks like a factory-sprayed single stage paint job. I also masked the body off to spray the side window trim, and tomorrow I'll do the windshield trim and possibly the fender flare mouldings.

After polishing:

2012-11-03_16-16-55_201.jpg

2012-11-03_16-17-17_383.jpg

2012-11-03_16-17-38_49.jpg

2012-11-03_16-17-51_634.jpg

After sprayed the side window trim and unmasked the body:

2012-11-03_20-09-16_367.jpg

2012-11-03_20-08-45_629.jpg

Not sure if I like the complete flat black on the window trim...I kinda wanted a semi-gloss. I guess I could brush on some semi-gloss clear, but I might just leave it be. I'm finally happy with the paint job and really don't want to screw it up for a 4th time! LoL

Yesterday I did a little work on this yesterday, gluing the engine in the frame and a little engine bay/firewall detailing by referencing some 1:1 pictures, so if you have ever owned one of these cars, you'll recognize the green connectors I replicated. I might tinker with it a little tonight...maybe get the exhaust painted/installed.

2012-11-04_12-21-34_458.jpg

2012-11-04_12-21-57_927.jpg

2012-11-04_12-30-03_540.jpg

2012-11-04_12-30-13_844.jpg

Man! I love that interior and all the details u have put in that build, and I'm really looking forward to the finished product. I built the same kit using duplicolor paints years ago and I had the exact line on the roof show up. Must be something with the plastic, keep up the good work!

first time that i have ran across this post but it looks great. please tell me you are not going to put that rainbow decal on this car. any way i read the whole post and i feel your pain on the part washed down the drain. i lost a bumper off of a pete brock 510 and had to get a complet model just to replace it. those things aint cheap. o well keep up the good work.