Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curtis Turner 1956 Ford Southern 500 winner

MarkJ

I hate to discourage you but did you know that Hendrix sells resin '56 ford custom HT body for around 40 $. Star Models sells it in addition to Ebay.

No discouragement, I just do not like resin or paying 40 bucks for something sight unseen. You cannot be sure if everything will fit properly in the kit to the resin body.And its just more fun to do the conversion myself even if its not perfect

Interior is done except for the seatbelts. Its going to be a tight fit getting the interior inside the body. I glued the doors shut on the body in order to do the moldings and now getting it iin the body with the doors shut is going to be a challenge. .

The work you did on the side trim is outstanding! I will be watching this build, as I remember the Car from my childhood. I was lucky enough to see Curtis Race on Several occasions, and When I started Racing He became not only one of my Heroes, but also one of my mentors. He Drove Hard And Live Live His own way! Here is a little Known Detail You might want to add, Curtis had a Silver Dollar that he would always tape to the dash of his race cars, he never would say why. It was always taped on the far left just below the drivers window when he was out on the track and he would remove it at the end of the race and stick it in his pocket. He also Insisted that a block of foam be fastened to the seat to keep him from sliding sideways in the seat. The Colour was a true Purple and White exterior with light grey interior. Yours looks Blue in the Photos you posted, The Interior , you have the purple and white exterior. Anyway Your Build looks Great!

CHEERS!

Tom

Edited by Tom Setzer

The work you did on the side trim is outstanding! I will be watching this build, as I remember the Car from my childhood. I was lucky enough to see Curtis Race on Several occasions, and When I started Racing He became not only one of my Heroes, but also one of my mentors. He Drove Hard And Live Live His own way! Here is a little Known Detail You might want to add, Curtis had a Silver Dollar that he would always tape to the dash of his race cars, he never would say why. It was always taped on the far left just below the drivers window when he was out on the track and he would remove it at the end of the race and stick it in his pocket. He also Insisted that a block of foam be fastened to the seat to keep him from sliding sideways in the seat. The Colour was a true Purple and White exterior with light grey interior. Yours looks Blue in the Photos you posted, The Interior , you have the purple and white exterior. Anyway Your Build looks Great!

CHEERS!

Tom

Tom, Thank you for your input. i will try to add a 1/25 scale silver dollar to the left side of the dash. The color pictures I have of the car showed the side of the front seat and the rear foundation as a light blue. I searched for 56 ford interior colors and sure enough they had a light blue that year called peacock blue. I think the car started out being a different color and they painted it purple.By the way , are you related to Dennis Setzer?

Edited by MarkJ

Tom, Thank you for your input. i will try to add a 1/25 scale silver dollar to the left side of the dash. The color pictures I have of the car showed the side of the front seat and the rear foundation as a light blue. I searched for 56 ford interior colors and sure enough they had a light blue that year called peacock blue. I think the car started out being a different color and they painted it purple.By the way , are you related to Dennis Setzer?

All you really need is the tape with a disc under it as that was about all you could see. If I remember correctly the car started out white and pastel blue.

Dennis is my Cousin. His father was my fathers youngest brother. I'm quite a bit older than he is. Dennis' Father Raced NASCAR Sportsman todays Nation Wide Series, and held several Track Records. Growing up in the Lenoir Hickory Newton-Conover area with the Setzer Name Pretty Much Meant getting into Racing as most of the people we Knew Raced.

CHEERS!

Tom

I dug out an old photo album, and the car you are building did have very light blue interior. The old memory isn't what it used to be! It was the solid purple 56 that had grey interior, I should have looked before I posted.

Curtis was killed in a plane crash Oct. 4 1970, he was only 46 years old. It was a sad day for everyone who Knew him!

CHEERS!

Tom

Edited by Tom Setzer

All you really need is the tape with a disc under it as that was about all you could see. If I remember correctly the car started out white and pastel blue.

Dennis is my Cousin. His father was my fathers youngest brother. I'm quite a bit older than he is. Dennis' Father Raced NASCAR Sportsman todays Nation Wide Series, and held several Track Records. Growing up in the Lenoir Hickory Newton-Conover area with the Setzer Name Pretty Much Meant getting into Racing as most of the people we Knew Raced.

CHEERS!

Tom

Tom, thanks for the info on the coin and your family. Just one more question. Was the tape clear,black or masking tape?