Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Mod Pontiac

1320wayne

A few years back, after I started creating pro mod bodies for casting I started on a Pontiac Grand Am body with the starting point being an old resin Grand Prix Nascar body. I wasn't really pleased with the way it was coming out so it never did get added to the lineup of bodies that I was doing for Chris at TEM. Last year I pulled it out and made a few changes to it, was happier with the look, although not 100% pleased, and decided to make my own pro mod out of it. The idea was to replicate Harold Martin's pro mod Pontiac using this body along with a Revell top sportsman/pro stock chassis and decals from the Kurt Johnson AC Delco Slixx sheet. The markings from the Slixx sheet are not an exact representation of Harold's car but they are close enough.

After progressing a bit further I decided to build this as a curbside. No engine but plenty of interior and exterior details.

Here is the beginning.

The body in it's intial stage of build.

MVC017F-vi.jpg

And the body after some of the changes were made.

DSC03704-vi.jpg

DSC03705-vi.jpg

And then paint and decals.

DSC00998-vi.jpg

DSC01000-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

• 2 months later...

Here is an update to this project. The body is completely rubbed out and the rear spoiler has been attached. The tire and wheel combination has been set and both front and rear has been attached. I added some additional braces to the interior and paint has been done. Again, this is simply going to be a curbside build with no engine or suspension detail.

DSC08873-vi.jpg

DSC08874-vi.jpg

DSC08875-vi.jpg

Another killer build! My dad met Harold Martin a couple of years ago and he raves about what a nice guy Harold is. You did his ride justice.

I've always been told that Harold is a pretty cool person and very approachable. The weird thing is that I only first heard of Harold in the mainstream from the later 90's and if you dig into the archives you see him mentioned somehwat in the heyday of Pro Mod/Top Sportsman racing. Then, a few days ago I stumble across some photos from the 74 NHRA event at Sanair in Canada and I find this picture. Maybe someone else could shine some light but I'm thinking that this is the same Harold Martin.

Sanair7620-vi.jpg

I've always been told that Harold is a pretty cool person and very approachable. The weird thing is that I only first heard of Harold in the mainstream from the later 90's and if you dig into the archives you see him mentioned somehwat in the heyday of Pro Mod/Top Sportsman racing. Then, a few days ago I stumble across some photos from the 74 NHRA event at Sanair in Canada and I find this picture. Maybe someone else could shine some light but I'm thinking that this is the same Harold Martin.

Sanair7620-vi.jpg

I don't see the picture that you posted. I saw my Dad's autographed photo of him and I might recognize him if I saw a picture of him. Here is a link to his website http://www.haroldmartin.com/rphotogallery.html Harold told my Dad that he is an engineer for GM and that he designed the intake system that he uses on his promod. At the time, he usually ran in IHRA events, but wanted to see how competitive he would be at and NHRA event. According to my Dad, he ran the fastest times at the event, but his engine weakened as the day progressed and he didn't have a crew that was big enough to change it. I think his crew consisted of his Dad and his wife or girlfriend.

Slow and steady progress on this one. Finally had a day off from work with no chores to do around the homestead so I was able to spend some time at the workbench.

I blacked out the window frames to ready them for glass. Then I tackled the wheelie bars and the spoiler braces. That's pretty much it for now but I should have the time to button this one up over the coming weekend.

DSC08877-vi.jpg

DSC08878-vi.jpg

DSC08879-vi.jpg

DSC08881-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne