Model Cars Magazine Forum

BJ & The Bear

I like the Revell one better as the frame is the correct length, it has opening doors and the roof is removable for detailing. As Tim said, you will need aftermarket decals. Jim at http://www.jbot.ca/ has these and they are great. To make it perfect, you will need aftermarket fuel tanks, quarter fenders, front rims/hubs, rear mudflaps. the bumper also needs to be modified a bit. One negative about the kit and I'm still trying out how best to overcome this, is the front panel which houses the headlights is incorrect. this panel should actually continue around till after the step that is under the drivers/passenger doors. The Revell kit panel stops just aft of the headlights. The AMT kit has this correct. This all depends also on how much time/money/detail you want to put into this thing ofcourse.

Edited by cj0203

• 1 month later...

I like the Revell one better as the frame is the correct length, it has opening doors and the roof is removable for detailing. As Tim said, you will need aftermarket decals. Jim at http://www.jbot.ca/ has these and they are great. To make it perfect, you will need aftermarket fuel tanks, quarter fenders, front rims/hubs, rear mudflaps. the bumper also needs to be modified a bit. One negative about the kit and I'm still trying out how best to overcome this, is the front panel which houses the headlights is incorrect. this panel should actually continue around till after the step that is under the drivers/passenger doors. The Revell kit panel stops just aft of the headlights. The AMT kit has this correct. This all depends also on how much time/money/detail you want to put into this thing ofcourse.

Hey Chris!! You know how my Revell K-100 Turned out...The next one (yeah,I'm gonna do the early version) "Kraig cummings truck"... is Not gonna be the Revell kit!!! The AMT / ERTL K-100 really has fewer problems or issues than the Revell kit. I like the way my Revell truck looks,But I won't build another one from the Revell kits!! Roy

Hey Roy. Your BJ truck looks great! Ya get those 2-holes yet? I would love to know what problems you had with the Revell kit so I know what I'm getting myself into. I've got plenty of mods to look forward to but how bout the kit itself? Any fitment problems etc?

Here's my current list of mods for it;

Aluminum wise I have fuel tanks, airhorns, stacks and wheels(great Ben Wicker designed alcoas machined by Jim Littiken which I will be posting some pictures of real soon!)

Other aftermarket parts I have are 2-hole buds for the trailer, hubs, quarter fenders, mudflaps, interior fans, etched Kenworth logos, the list goes on!

The Revell front bumper needs to be shaved down a tad, it's a bit too deep(height wise), heavy mods on the ERTL Great Dane Reefer are also required, namely adding extra ribs, moving the side door forward a bit, modifying the rear doors/taillights to name but a few.

I suppose I better get cracking on it!!

Chris