Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nader's Nightmare

Psychographic

I was hoping to do a custom gauge pod of some sort, but it seems a dash from a 65 Vette looks good in there and with a little work will blend into the armrest/console thingy I put in there. I stole the seats and steering wheel from the same kit. I have some billet style steering wheels coming, but I think the Vette wheel will work better and keep a 60's feel to the car.

P8160095.jpg

If it's a "Water Pumper" I guess we need a place to pump the H20 to don't we. I pirated a radiator from a 57 P.U. and mounted it to the frame in the back. I also opened up the vents in the rear decklid. Now to find a electric fan for it and make new fittings for the hoses.

I wanted to make a shroud that fit tight to the body just under the vents, but I would have to redo the back of the frame and move the pivot points back further for the body to still flip without hitting the radiator. So much for planning ahead.

P8170097.jpg

P8170096.jpg

David- I am working on a project that's kind of the opposite of what you have going on - a rear mounted engine with a front mounted radiator. What I did was run lengths of 3/32" solid-core solder as 'pipes', then connected that at the ends with electrical tape to serve as hose (to compensate for body/frame/engine movement) and short pieces of aluminum tubing used to 'clamp' the pieces together. I've used a similar approach on a few rat rods with the rad mounted behind the cab.

I did a little more work on the frame, a battery tray and the start of a fuel cell. I doubt it will get far with two small blocks, but it's a showrod, how far does it have to go?

P8200107.jpg

P8200108.jpg

I think all that is left for the frame is the front shocks and springs. Once again I have no clue as to how I'll pull them off, there is not much room for them. Maybe some sort of torsion bars?

I was racking my brain trying to figure out some sort of remotely believable steering box set up. Then it popped into my head, why not use a Sprint Car style box.

So this is what I have so far. When you turn the wheels, the linkage moves also. Too bad I can't figure out how to get the steering wheel to move with it.

Turning right,

P8220120.jpg

Turning left.

P8220121.jpg

Next is a brake master cylinder and I'm done mocking up the frame. Wait, didn't I say that a couple of times already?