Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glass cutting with a Dremel

I'm wondering if a Dremel can cut glass? I have a Touch n Flow glue applicator and I find it's way too long for me to hold properly. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands and holding my thumb over the end to keep the glue from leaking out while positioning the other end is very difficult. I'm thinking if I can cut it down to half length I'll be able to hold it more comfortably and apply my glue more precisely. Can this be with my Dremel, and then smooth the sharp edges with one of the smoothing stones that came with my set?

I think you'll need a stone type bit to grind through the glass as opposed to a steel cutter.

Finer rather than coarse.

I have sucessfully hand sanded and polished glass with traditional abrasives so it could work.

I would do the finishing of the cut edge by hand with wet sand papers.

Of course, use proper protection...

I grew up playing with glass tubing. You don't have to cut through it. Tubing works just like regular glass. You score a small mark with a triangular file and apply a little pressure under the mark with you thumb and it will snap. You don't need to polish it. Just hit it with a propane torch and heat it until it glows orange and it will melt the edges smooth. Take you about 2 minutes of work. If you are unsure of what you are doing, order some tubing from small parts and practice a little. It really is easy.

Oh, and be careful with hot glass. It stays hot for quite while after you heat it. Let it set and don't lay it on anything flamable. I piece of ceramic tile it an ideal surface.

I use my Dremel to drill holes in glass. You need a diamond tip drill bit, slow speed, and need to put the glass, or at least the portion where you the hole, under water. On large piece of glass you can make a ###### with putty or caulk.

To cut glass in a straight or curvey line, all you need is a glass cutter to score and then snap the glass at the cut.

I use my wife's used diabetic syringes for a touch and flow. They work great! I use the plunger to draw in my Tenax,then when I'm ready to use it,I remove it. Best part is when it clogs up,just stick the plunger back in and push it until it flows again.

:blink:

Harry -

Surely you are old enough to remember Gilbert chemistry sets. As a kid growing up in the 50's every parent bought their kid one. One of the lessons in the kit was how to cut, bend and strech glass tubing with the alchohol burner that came in the set. We also learned more skills in high school chemistry class. We were making all kinds of tools made of glass. Just one of the advantages of growing up before the lawyers took over.

It can be done, carefully. I have cut through tempered auto glass with a die grinder/cutting wheel. granted, the heat if applied constantly will stress and break the glass but I have done it. Not sure how different it would be for the glass you are using.

tempered or toughened glass cannot be cut-it will explode however the toughening zone doesnt extend right to the edge which means tempered glass can be run through a polishing machine to reduce the size of the glass by about 2mm,any more and it will hit the tempered zone and explode.

as for OP you can cut glass tube with ceramic bits etc with plenty of water as lubricant,if it breaks just get the syringes as said earlier.