Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pantera

Scale-Master

That Pantera is beautiful. Nice job. I plan on doing a die cast replica of my `68 Barracuda. Could you please elaborate on baking the paint? Thanks!

I also would like to know about baking the paint. And what did you use to strip the original paint?

I did not strip this one, just sanded out the roughest spots (dirt and such) of the original blue paint, gave it an overall scuff for adhesion, and sprayed the red.

When I do strip them, I use carburetor cleaner, or Jasco stripper. Then more work is required to clean up the casting lines and the metal parts will need to be primed/prepped.

As far as baking, I have used the kitchen oven, but only for the metal parts. The front valence is plastic on this one and I would not risk oven baking, it is not that precise. However, it has been relatively warm here and I used a clear acrylic dome over the parts to trap the heat of the sun while they sat on top of my hot tub for 8-10 hours a day. Safe slow baking for free.

Guest Johnny

Testors enamels do not dry and cure all that quickly. Baking speeds that up. Normal cure time is as much as four weeks, it may be dry to the touch after a day, but the paint is still too soft to handle for assembly, or to be waxed.

Yep! I always paint mine then after a day drying in a vented (and filtered) box I just put them away for a while and build on something else!

I have painted bodies that the kits are waiting from two and three years ago! I painted about 15 bodies in two days at one fall! :lol: