Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980 GMC "General" Updated 3/25/12 "hood"

That's not a Cummins; it's a Detroit Diesel 8V92.

DUH! :wacko: ....and i thought i had a doc appt today to..... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: ....again that detroit looks to small in there.....you need something "YELLOW" in there to fill up the space! :wub::lol:

DUH! :wacko: ....and i thought i had a doc appt today to..... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: ....again that detroit looks to small in there.....you need something "YELLOW" in there to fill up the space! :wub::lol:

Hey hey hey, it's a GMC my man! Keep the Jimmy in the Jimmy! ;)

is it me or does that cummins look a rather tad to small for the engine compartment? :blink:

chassis is awsome as usual from you kurt!....what color of orange (red) is it? :P

The color is: GM Tangier Orange...PPG/Plasticote

Orange is a tough color to work with....and especially with my failing eyesight....

The Detroit fits well, and is period to the time, late 70's early 80's. The firewall for the cab needs to be installed. The cab seen is for test fit. The silver will hopefully start to fly "soon". I still hate this kit...even with all of the hard work, nothing fits correct.

Thanks guys for the comments....Kurt

Did GMC use Caterpillar engines as an option in the General?

With regards to the use of the Detroit! Perfect!!

Dave

wheres the sleeper for it i love the gmc rigs, the guy that hauled the wood to my house as a kid had a 79 gmc general logging truck an i just loved it as a kid as i do now they are very rare too see at truck shows

No sleeper here....cab and chassis.

3/12/2012 Update

Interior almost completed....another 1-2 coats of Future for the dash gauges (custom decals), Wheels are alligned and attached...working on the cab and hood (next)...shooting for completion, NNL East 4/21/2012

Kurt

DSC09153.jpg

DSC09161.jpg

DSC09162.jpg

DSC09170.jpg

Nice job on the dash. I'll definately be using this build as a guide when I start my General.

Those flaps look familiar. :)

Jim....the flaps you sent me worked out great....Thank you

What I did was to scan them...and did up some decals to apply them to white "mudflap" rubber material.

Kurt

Edited by Turbo590

Good points for that dashboard Kurt, it looks great. One of the best Generals I've seen yet and that's counting the real ones too! :lol:

From the looks of it, this one is brand spanking new and will be delivered to the customer from the dealership soon?

nice job....maybe get us a pic with the hood on after paint? :lol: ....by the way...i have to ask what those partially sprayed orange "bars" are next to the tires?

The yellow tape and the "orange" bar (Paint test) was used for the wheel/tire alignment, when attaching the wheels/glueing.

Kurt