Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth T 600 rebuild

This model started its life as a pure stock box build in the late 1980´s or early 1990´s. It is my second truck model and the first model of American truck. My modelling know-how and skills were very poor then and my reference material next to none. No PC, no internet, no real truck around. Just a few pictures in the old KW brochure that I requested a long long time ago.

As the time was passing by my knowledge of American trucks improved with a great help of internet. I looked at my old T 600 model and realised how many things were wrong. Originally I just wanted to improve the looks of some parts like the engine, the fuel tanks and the smoke stacks. But as I had the model in my hands so many times, things started to fall off. That´s when the idea of a more complex rebuild came across my mind.

There was one important limitation that I set at the begining. The paint scheme on the cab and sleeper must be preserved. The whole paint job was done for me by the father of my friend and work fellow. Both are skilled and experienced modellers and I asked them for this favour. I was the one who chose the paint scheme. The inspiration came from the old KW brochure. But the whole painting is their job, not mine.

Unfortunatelly, I never took a pic of the original build. It was partly dismantled already when I took some.

P3050002.thumb.JPG.871d60f70a66393bbd9b9

P2220096.thumb.JPG.dc235e68510481d49bc64

P3050005.thumb.JPG.58f61615cd05ce97c7f3f

P3050008.thumb.JPG.35515f139e27d9c50cd6c

This was the starting point. I changed some of the parts and their arrangement but the basic set up remained the same. Will show everything bit by bit.

Jarda

Edited by truckabilly

The stock box engine - twin turbo Cummins - is not a correct engine for T 600 but I left it in the truck. I didn´t have any other to replace it. I just repaired the whole turbo set up and added some details to the engine. Then I sprayed a new paint.

P1170204.jpg

P1170220.jpg

P1170222.jpg

One of the things that puzzeled me was the air filter location. The kit had the filter located on the RH frame rail just behind the bumper. But all the pictures of T 600 engine compartment showed the filter sitting on top of the engine. So, I scratchbuilt a new filter including the bracket and placed it on the engine.

P6220217.jpg

P6220214.jpg

Thank you all for your comments.

Now I would like to show you some of the parts that I scratchbuilt or modified. Since I moved the air filter from its original location, I wondered what the real truck has in that place. And I found the air dryer. Here is mine.

P6220195.jpg

I had to modify the tube running from air filter to turbocharger. I also changed the air tanks. Those in the kit were much too short and thick for a KW.

P6220187.jpg

P6220186.jpg

The kit mirrors lack some of the brackets. I used the the mirrors but made the brackets of my own.

P8250550.jpg

P8250552.jpg

The cab steps / tank coveres looked very strange to me. It wasn´t like anything I´ve seen on the T 600. I tried to make the steps of my own but I never did such a thing and didn´t know how. But I have built some paper models before. So I went in that fashion and here is how I made my steps.

P7040281.jpg

P7040286.jpg

Here you can see the new steps in comparison with the old ones.

P7240299.jpg

Edited by truckabilly

My old KW brochure said that the exhaust pipes run above the frame. I hope that it is the case of T 600 too because I have made that change. Here is the old under frame tube and the new above frame tube at the same pic.

P8140382.jpg

P8140381.jpg

P8140383.jpg

The line running from the tube is the pyrometer sensor wire. Here is the exhaust tube painted and mounted to the frame.

P8190456.jpg

P8190455.jpg

P8190453.jpg

I added the amber lights to the bumper corners. I don´t know if they are the turn signal lights or the width clearance lights.

P8250526.jpg

One of the parts that are completely wrong in the kit is the firewall. I threw it in the trash and made the one of my own with the windshield washer reservoir and the "box" on the other side. I don´t know what it is. A cab heater?

P4280244.jpg

Edited by truckabilly

Another interior item that I added is the 3pt. seat belts. I made them of a cigarette paper and the buckles are made of a plastic scrap. I also changed the steering wheel spokes.

P6010127.jpg

P6010129.jpg

P5300122.jpg

That´s all for now. Thanks for looking.

Edited by truckabilly

Cool! You even put a pyrometer gauge sensor on the exhaust! Some of the earlier T600's in fact had NTC Cummins. When I started my career as a mechanic there were a few I worked on that had those engines.

Wow, thank you for the info. I didn´t know that. I have seen only pictures with some of the newer engines installed in T600.

One of the typical features I spotted on these pictures is the intercooler located in front of the radiator. But this old NTC is equipped with an aftercooler. I hope my engine and radiator set up is alright. No intercooler, no big tubes running to the sides of radiator. I would appreciate, Scott, if you could confirm this to me. I do not see any logic in using both the intercooler and the aftercooler on the same engine. But I am not a mechanic.

Jarda

• 4 months later...

Somehow I left this build sleep for a while. No wonder since the kit´s name is "Big Sleeper". Probably nothing to do with Raymond Chandler´s book so they should have named it "Big Bunk" or something. Anyway, I took the model outside the other day and took some pictures. Hope you like it.

P8250222.jpg

P8250221.jpg

P8250220.jpg

P8250211.jpg

P8250209.jpg

P8250213.jpg

P8250214.jpg

P8250216.jpg

P8250219.jpg

P8250207.jpg