Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need some advice on what resin engine to purchase

Flyboyz1011

I recently picked up AMT's 57 chev Bel Air. My wife picked it out because her papa (R.I.P) owned one when she was a wee baby. Instead of doing it box stock we are doing it electric pink and white for breast cancer awareness. The electric pink is her little custom touch. The interior will be model master Hot Magenta and white trim. Brandi my wife is an R.N and of course I fully support breast cancer awareness.

I have custom rims from pegasus and she picked a set she likes out of my parts box. I asked if she'd like a custom engine and she said sure!!!!!

I am blown away with the skill, knowledge and friendliness I see on here day after day. So I figured I'd ask what engine not only fits, it looks good, and where to get it.

x2 on the Hemi except I would vote for a 392.

426 hemi is a chevy? Forgive my naiveness, why do that?

It is a hot-rod engine. However, it would depend on whether you are doing a hot-rod style build or a more refined pro touring build with a modern drive-train. If you are doing it pro touring style, go with a corvette LS engine from a Z06.

STewart

Edited by stewart

I'm a Ford guy.....but...I couldn't put a Ford in a chevy...SO why not give Ross Gibson a call...I would go with a Hilborn Injected BBC with the stacks cut to fit under or flush to the hood. The other thought would be ross's 502 BBC with late model induction...Both great motors and build well.....I couldn't find a pic of the BBC,( RGE 307) all I had was a SBC....same induction setup though.

RGE306.jpg

rge401.jpg

x2 on the Hemi except I would vote for a 392.

It is a hot-rod engine. However, it would depend on whether you are doing a hot-rod style build or a more refined pro touring build with a modern drive-train. If you are doing it pro touring style, go with a corvette LS engine from a Z06.

STewart

Going for a cross between both. I like the idea with the LS. Thanks Stewart.

The 409 from one of the earlier 58 Impala kits (with the finned valve covers), Tri-power Throttle bodies and the intake drilled/fitted/plumbed for modern EFI. Coil packs from the 1996-99 Mustang Cobra kits (Revell) and an EDIS wheel made for the crank snout. Vintage looks with modern performance!

Edited by whale392

The 409 from one of the earlier 58 Impala kits (with the finned valve covers), Tri-power Throttle bodies and the intake drilled/fitted/plumbed for modern EFI. Coil packs from the 1996-99 Mustang Cobra kits (Revell) and an EDIS wheel made for the crank snout. Vintage looks with modern performance!

Nice!!!

Ok so to close this out I'm going with the 572 from http://vcgresin.atspace.com/. I saw it on a thread for a camaro build and I was blown away. To top it off Manny e-mailed me and offered to answer any questions I have. That put them at number one for me. On a side note this is my personal opinion, I don't work for him or get any money for this.

Ok so to close this out I'm going with the 572 from http://vcgresin.atspace.com/. I saw it on a thread for a camaro build and I was blown away. To top it off Manny e-mailed me and offered to answer any questions I have. That put them at number one for me. On a side note this is my personal opinion, I don't work for him or get any money for this.

AH HA, good choice!! ;)B)