Model Cars Magazine Forum

Happy 236th Birthday Marines

Clay, thank you for your service and the sacrifices you have made as a Marine for the rest of us!

My son, who is planning on a career in the Marines, had to be a school early today as he is the commanding officer of his JROTC Marine Corps unit as they were holding a birthday party in honor of the Marine Corps.

Clay,

One of my closest buddies when I was in Jr Hi and HS, left school at 16 to become a marine--he served from 1960 until retirement in 1990--always saw him as a true American hero! An uncle of mine was a decorated Marine in WW-II, have the utmost respect for him as well.

Thank you for your service to this, our country!

Art

As a historical note: The Continental Congress noted the unflinching courage of La Compagnie de la Marine--the first marine corps in the world, from the Royal French Navy, who helped our ancestors convince the British to let this country be independent. A company of French Marines garrisoned Post Ouiatenon, which stood just 4 miles downstream on the banks of the Wabash River from where Lafayette IN, my hometown now stands. It was from that service that the inspiration for USMC came, and Thank God our Leathernecks took up the challenge!

Art