Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you paint the interior roof of the body?

I painted my roof semi black and them masked the interior as I primed the outside body with laquer. I found some flaws on my body like seams that didnt get filled all the way from the putty and also some letterings were still visible from the primer that I thought were all gone. So now I got to take the masking tape out of the interior and wet sand the putty parts again and resand the flaws.

The adhesive from the blue painters tape kind of ruined the semi-gloss black. I was thinking of just wetsanding the primer and prime the body again to check the flaws and after I am done coloring the body, I will just hand brush the interior semi gloss black since I will not have to mask again. Seems like masking and taking it off and remasking again is tedious.

Is this the best solution?

Edited by lukeeluciano

first, i would recommend not using the regular blue painters tape. find the one with low tack even then you might want to place it on your pant leg to reduce the tack or buy some tamiya(or the like) hobby tape.

hand brushing it after your done with the exterior would probably be the easiest to do. since you wont have to worry about over spray on the body. but if you have an airbrush, you can mask from the inside and spray it.

I mask and airbrush carefully, but sometimes you are not going to be able to see any of the roof, but the sides yes. You can also upholster the roof for a bit of extra detailing.

Yep, just use a piece of your blue painters tape. And brush paint it. It's got a texture and should look fine.

I've never had a problem with blue painter's tape leaving residue behind. I don't mask the interior off until right before I'm ready to spray the body,then take it off as soon as the paint is dry enough to handle. I ususally have to mask off the interior at least two times,once for painting and again for clear coat. It only takes a couple of minutes to mask off an interior and the results are much better than brush painting.