Model Cars Magazine Forum

Firebomb glue bomb (TD's Custom VW Van)

Daniel Peterson

It's been slightly longer than forever since I posted anything resembling a model project. Now that I reclaimed some workspace in the basement, I've been trying like the devil to get some kind of project rolling, even if it's just revitalizing a glue bomb.

I mentioned in our newsletter I was looking for a Monogram Baja Beast, Baja Bandito or Firebomb kit in pretty much any state of repair and good guy and club mate Mike Wass donated a tired built-up Monogram Firebomb to the cause. I really like the custom VW van kits and will keep trying to get my hands on them for projects like this...but I digress.

Here it is, pretty much as I got it from Mike. Thankfully the only paint on it is some flat black, brush painted on the chassis, and some other limited brushwork on the engine block and the seat.

DSCF0186-vi.jpg

DSCF0191-vi.jpg

I had forgotten how many holes and mounting bosses there were on the body. Since my build objective isn't even remotely related to a restoration, I wanted to smooth things out a bit...okay, maybe a lot.

Here is how I decided to unhole the holes. Plastic rod, fit tightly in the holes with some liquid cement and carefully sanded will reduce my dependance on putty. That doesn't mean it'll be smooth as glass, but it does mean I won't have putty shrinkage to worry about.

DSCF0196-vi.jpg

Patience and sanding applied in equal parts yielded decent results. I'm not going to get too cocky until I shoot some primer on it.

DSCF0207-vi.jpg

More in the next post....

Here are the "not there anymore" bosses the nerf-style bumpers originally mounted to. I also cleaned off the mold separation lines and opened the headlight buckets. What to do with the great big round opening in the center of the nose? No clue yet.

DSCF0210-vi.jpg

And lastly for this installment, this shows how the side doors normally work. I don't much care for it.

DSCF0189-vi.jpg

I gave some thought to getting really fancy with a new way to treat the door operation...then I guess I sobered up or something. I opted to keep it kind of simple and the only thing I might do is relocate the pivot point.

DSCF0217-vi.jpg

I have a lot going on that keeps me away from the bench, but I'm really feeling this one. I hope I can keep working on it and not lose interest or focus.

Comments are welcome.

Daniel? Are you any relation to the Daniel Peterson who used to post pithy comments and get blamed for anything and everything? Of course you are!

Welcome back; we've missed you. Besides, we left the porchlight on so long ~ ~ ~ [wait for it ...] ~ ~ ~ we can't afford the 'lectric bill.

;)

Edited by Danno

This is a cool kit. I have an unbuilt one laying around. It's inspiring to see how other modelers execute and tackle modifications on their projects. One of these days I have to do what someone wrote in an old Car Model Magazine - tho one from the 60's and 70's.

"Someday I have to lock myself in and get really involved" I thought it was a pretty cool remark back then, and I still think so.

Daniel? Are you any relation to the Daniel Peterson who used to post pithy comments and get blamed for anything and everything? Of course you are!

Welcome back; we've missed you. Besides, we left the porchlight on so long ~ ~ ~ [wait for it ...] ~ ~ ~ we can't afford the 'lectric bill.

;)

As long as you aren't fishing for me to pitch in on the 'lectric bill, yes. Yes, I am.

Found a little time to revisit the Firebomb. I am letting the body sit while I noodle the engine and suspension.

While the bus already had a straight axle, it was a little beat and I was aiming for a little more altitude than Monogram engineered into it. The only problem is the width, but this is an easy fix with Revell's SWC Willys set-up. A little nip and tuck (nip the axle, tuck the ends into an aluminum tube) got the wheels spaced more to my liking.

DSCF0224-vi.jpg

Don't worry about the rotation of the axle being a little wonky as it's only dry-fit at this point.

DSCF0220-vi.jpg

And here's the spacing I was looking for. This will place the springs darn near where the kit's original spring locations were. That's just a happy coincidence rather than having been planned.

DSCF0219-vi.jpg

Since I was already tearing into a Willys kit for suspension and other miscellaneous doo-dads, I said to myself "Self, why not pop the Hemi into the van and boot that Chevy?" In comparison, they aren't all that far apart dimensionally, or at least not when you consider you have an engine bay the size of a living room in the van.

DSCF0226-vi.jpg

I was also thinking I could just toss the van on the Willys chassis, but then I started to wonder if I could marry the funky trans set-up from the van to the Hemi and set everything up on the van's chassis pan. Turns out it's not much of a stretch. Plus I sort of like the goofy rear suspension set-up that came with the van.

A few steady strokes with the saw and - BANG! - tranny problem solved.

DSCF0229-vi.jpg

Nothing terribly interesting or exotic in this thread, but I'm doing this as much to keep me motivated as to keep you entertained. I do welcome criticisms and suggestions.

Among the next steps will be finalizing front suspension placement, building a roll bar, and giving a little more thought to mounting the Hemi. I'll redirect my attention toward the body once I have some of the running gear-related stuff put to bed.

I approve ditching the Chev for the Hemi.... but If you've got an engine bay that size why not go full bore and drop in a blown 'Cammer? ;)

Uh...truth be told, my first thought for the engine swap was an Allison...but I don't have one.

I do have a cammer laying around somewhere...but I may hold onto that for a different project involving a Deutschwagen.

Edited by Daniel Peterson

• 3 weeks later...

I made a little more progress on the van, which for me is earth-shaking news.

The 2-part side door was converted to a single and I decided to move the pivot point so the top tucks into the roof when it opens. I glued a strip of styrene to act as a stop and have some other fiddling to do with the jams before I put the door back on the body.

DSCF0339-vi.jpg

DSCF0340-vi.jpg

I joined the Hemi and the kit axle. I could have spent a lot more time crafting some sort of fancy adapter plate, but wanted to get them together so I could determine spacing for the radiator and how much material I needed to trim out of the chassis pan.

DSCF0359-vi.jpg

DSCF0342-vi.jpg

I may just dress up some of the square tube I used to mock up the engine placement and use them as mounts since the engine sits pretty much dead-on as I want it to. From the looks of this photo, it appears the radiator could be supported by the square tube as well...more fiddling to come. Now that I have the basic engine layout developed, I can also turn my attention to building the roll bar.

I like this build and I have a suggestion for the radiator .instead of the one you got there sittin in front of the engine what about 2 smaller ones mounted over to the side where the scoops on the body are. just a thought you are probably way past that any way. carry on.

Thanks for the comments. The radiator idea is a good one, and I need to give that some serious consideration. If I do that, I can't possibly leave the side scoops closed off, which means more work I wasn't intending to do. (Truth be told, I was really tempted from the start to either remove them or do something a little crazy in their place.)

As often happens, this began as a simple resurrection of a glue bomb just to shake the cobwebs off my hobby bench, but at each step I find something else I'd like to mess with.

In other words, I'm havin' fun. Keep the feedback coming!

Well, in spite of suffering a motivation-free Sunday I managed to get to the bench and wrestle with the fiddly suspension bits up front. The tie-rod needed to be lengthened to match the widened axle. It's a stupid simple process, making it perfect for me.

Lop off the plastic rod and replace it with the wire rod. A little careful drilling is all you need to do. Well, that and not losing one of the ends in the carpet.

photo-vi.jpg?1323645151

Finished part, and ready for a smidgen of super glue to make sure the metal and plastic stay together.

photo1-vi.jpg?1323645156

And here's everything mocked up for final fit, except for the shocks which need to be dramatically lengthened...

photo-vi.jpg?1323645159

While this was going on I had a handful of chrome parts soaking in some Wesley's Bleche White.

More news as it develops...