Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rock Tumbler Uses

Hello, folks, just curious to know if anyone here has ever used one of those rock tumblers (the kind jewelers use) to strip paint off parts, or even smooth them out. I think they'd make great paint shakers/mixers.

Just curious. We're always looking for new ways here in the Lab-RAT-ory! :D

How about electric tooth brushes?

I have heard of converting them into spot sanders.

That might remove a lot of material in a real hurry. Maybe for bad sink marks in tough locations?

As for the rock tumbler, I can't see it being good for much when it cones to anything as soft as styrene. Maybe for cleaning up parts from metal bodied models (Humbley/Gabriel) or stripping diecasts without using chemicals.

very interesting.... a small spining drum.. what if we put 4 1oz jars(paint) in bubble wrap in the drum .. or ac foam fillter ..or shipping peanuts...much faster then useing a jewery cleaner as a paint shaker it works but takes forever.. another good cheap idear

Edited by mr cheap

The slot car guys use them to polish scratchbuilt brass rod and piano wire frames. I've seen the results, and I think it would be too tough on plastic. Maybe with something like baking soda, perhaps it could work. I would certainly negate the need to sand before primer.

Glenn, YES! That's a great idea . . . something a bit less abrasive . . . even sand might work really work at smooth out the plastic . . . the idea would be to tumble long enough for good results . . .

That's what I'm thinking, an idea for someone with a tumbler already to try . . .

Frederick, you have to do an experiment and put a scrap body in there with sand or baking powder or even salt and tumble it for a while just to see what happens. As an experiment. There are some very small machines (reasonably priced) on the market, and I'm just curious, which is why I posted here hoping someone would do some quick experiments.

i've got a rock tumbler and the only thing i'd put in it is..............................rocks.

how many people even do that anymore?

I do! I have a neat two-drum tumbler so that I can work on two batches at a time...

Dr. Cranky,for some reason, when I saw the title of this thread and who started it, my knee-jerk reaction was, "Ohh no... What's he done now?"... :blink::rolleyes:;)

Edited by Wagoneer81

i've got a rock tumbler and the only thing i'd put in it is..............................rocks.

how many people even do that anymore?

I've done some rocks in mine. Patience required - and a place to separate the noise from your living quarters. I don't think I'd put plastic in it though - not enough difference in the hardness of paint and plastic. It seems like the plastic would loose all its high spots before it lost paint in the cracks. Could have some use though...

I've done some rocks in mine. Patience required - and a place to separate the noise from your living quarters. I don't think I'd put plastic in it though - not enough difference in the hardness of paint and plastic. It seems like the plastic would loose all its high spots before it lost paint in the cracks. Could have some use though...

Rock tumblers work by using a mix of water, a series of abrasive grits, and the action of small stones rolling and "tumbling" against one another, in the process losing all their sharp edges, points and corners. I can't see this working with a model car body alone in the tumbler, regardless of how much grit is used, and equally, regardless of the length of time you leave the machine running. I would bet though, that the action would pretty quickly round off the fins on a '59 Chevy body though.

Art