Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt COE Unilite W.I.P.

Hi there,

I´ve just started with a new project.I´ve built a lot of cars the last time and now wanted to get back into truckmodeling.

The base for this kit is the AMT Peterbilt 352 COE reissue.I bought a book from amazon named Peterbilt Trucks at Work 1939-1979.I found a picture of an old COE truck with single headligths and wanted to built soemthing like that.

here is the original picture from the book.

unilite.jpg

I started with cutting the cab down to an original 60 inch cab.Reworked the molded in steps and filled the holew for the headlights with some sheet,I also changed some other parts and sanded down the rivets on the 352.I have to make new ones from round stips...But this will be the last step before paint.I still have to cut out the rear windows.The frame was shortened.I´ll use some resin-wheels I casted by myself and will add some photoetched Peterbilt Logos.Still a lot of work to do but here are some first pictures

352uni001.jpg

352uni002.jpg

352uni005.jpg

352uni006.jpg

352uni007.jpg

I used a fine mesh for the cooler and will change the kit engine.I´ll use the 6 cyl. Cummins engine from an Kenworth K-123 COE for the Pete.

I hope the Peterbilt guru Tim could give me some advice if I´m on the right way.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,Chris

Chris

CooL project!

The Unilite 352 cabs were quite different from the Pacemaker cabs.

The roof corners were much more graceful, so you'll need to sand the side-to-roof corners more. Same for the rear wall-to-side-wall corner.

You also need to flatten the roof. Pacemaker has an angle to the roof towards the front. Unilite cabs did not have this angle.

Each unilite cab panel was hand formed.

Here are several unilite cab 352s for reference.

68352daycabcloseleft.jpg

68352backofcab.jpg

1959Unilite352.jpg

bradwike_352unilite.jpg

Just for reference, here is a Pacemaker 352

kevin_swanson_352.jpg

Pacemaker shared the grille, windshield, doors, handles, bumpers with the unilite cab 352.

Tim

More tid bits...

The unilite cab 352 would have the air cleaner running through the cab like the kit cab, but in a different location. There was no option for a behind the cab air cleaner intake on the unilite cab.

68352backofcab.jpg

Note the location of the air cleaner intake and the tube running through the interior.

Also note the rear wall of the cab, how different it was from Pacemaker.

kevin_swanson_352_rear.jpg

The unilite cab appears larger or fatter in some views, but it has the same dimensions/footprint.

The interior is different too

68352daycabinterior.jpg

There is no "wrap around" dash on the driver's right.

68352interior.jpg

Thanks to Cam Levin for his 352 photos!

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the advice with the Pete Cab.I know the part with the exhaust but want to set it behind the cab.It´s looking good for me.Lol,for the Air cleaner there isn´t much place to set it to another location as to the rear inner corner of the cab.I have to change the interior as I have seen it on your "Miss Dolly" Pete.

But I´ve never noticed that the roof corners and rear sidecorners were different from the peacemaker cab.So I have to do that with some more sanding.I´ve also sanded most of the rivets on the cab and have to do some new ones....I´ll take the pictures for reference.

Thanks a lot for the tips.

Cheers,Chris

Chris

When Peterbilt redesigned the 352 for 1970 the (Herb Izuno did the Pacemaker design) new cab kept the traditional look but 'modernized' and corrected many of the flaws of the Unilite cab. (unilite cab was prone to roof leaks, was difficult to build (nearly twice as long to build as the newer cab) and repair.

Tim

Chris,

This is an impressive project a great idea for a truck. Cab Overs appear to be the flavour at the moment (And older classic ones at that). Your Pete is starting to look like the real thing. I had no idea about the differences between the Pacemaker and the Unilite, I'm just glad we have Tim on board with his wealth of enthusiasm, knowledge and expertise to keep us on the straight and narrow path.

Look forward to seeing how you progress with it.

Good Luck with the Project.

Hi there,

First let me thank you for your nice compliments and the tips.I made a little bit of progress to the Pete.Made some detailing to the cab and made a lot of new rivets from round plastruct round rod....I also added the bases for the sidemarkers etc.I made some sanding to the edges of the cab Tim mentioned.Cutted out the openings for the rear windows and made some new engine mounts.I still have to drill a hole to the roof for the aircleaner.Here are some new pictures:

352uni009.jpg

352uni012.jpg

352uni013.jpg

352uni014.jpg

More progress,soon.

Excellent work so far on this cabover. I have been trying so hard to score a cabover Pete or Kenworth on eBay, but every time they go for around 100.00 and I am not or cannot afford that right now. Someday I'll find me one at a decent price. I saw your comment on how you sanded down the rivet detail and had to fix it or replace them. How exactly did you do that anyways? I am also working on making a double bunk cabover freightliner and really cannot do it without messing up some of the rivet detail. can you guys give me some advice on that??? Much appreciated!! I really like your effort on this and it's showing!! Very nice work and I'll be watching this one come to life for sure!!

Hi there,

thanks for the compliments...

@rottin1:For the new rivets I used Plastruct round rod .020" .First I marked the lines where the new rivets will be placed,then drilled small holes with the right diameter to the cab and glued small pieces of the rod into them.The next day I slightly sanded them to the right height...A lot of work but it was worth the three hours,I think.

The Peterbilt Cabover was rereleased some time ago, so maybe you could find a cheaper one than the original issue.

Cheers,Chris

Guest roadkill2525

Hey, I just figured out what that truck resembles. Optimus Prime from the original Transformers cartoon.

Does anyone know what make and model this is?

Optimus-Prime-400.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

after I had a break from about three weeks because my hobbyroom in the basement of our house runs full of water three weeks ago causing on a half an hour heavy rain and redoing all the floorcovering and painting hte walls,buying new furniture etc. I´m back in business and made some progress on my pete.Added some frame covering,made the pipes for the exhaust etc and started wireing the frame.I´ll add some more detailing soon and will shoot some new pictures where you could see the wireing.

352uni018.jpg

352uni019.jpg

352uni021.jpg

352uni022.jpg

I´ll glue the exhaust late when I made some more details to it.

More progress will follow,soon...I made the mounts for the new engine.I get it from the Autocar Dump Truck.....I think it will look right on the Pete.

Cheers,Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I made some decals for the truck...A very good friend of mine used them on his Pete COE truck.We want to build two trucks in the same colors.His truck is nearly finished....I´ll start to paint mine next week.

I want to share some pictures of his truck with you.

6366326566383662.jpg

3230633861376338.jpg

6138356138353634.jpg

6334396466656636.jpg

The builder of this truck is Uwe Schützendorf......

Pictures of my truck will follow soon when the detailing is complete.