Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Do You Use Your Decals?

yeah, whatever floats yer boat!!! and as Dave said, you are a rule breaker anyway!!!

but, i do 'trim' whatever decals i use to make them look more like 'die cut'....oh, and never clear over the decals, these are usually just vynl, not real shiny, but...

the older sheets usually had a bunch of clear carrier to be trimed or it would curl up on the car...

Well, let me see if I can focus a little bit more. I have cool sheet of THE OLD PRO decals that came with an AMT 69 NOVA kit and I want to retro fit them to something else, say a 41 Willys and turn it into a Phantom Gasser. Is that possible? Is it allowed? Or the fact that the colors and markings give away that it's from another vehicle, another era?

Concerning decals Virgil, anything goes! I don't use decals that often,but yeah, I'll put them on anything I want! Like you, I really dig those "Old Pro" decals and I used them on a '66 Chevelle. But I say use 'em on whatever ya want to as long as they fit! Bob Glidden never drove a tubbed out pro stock '66 Fairlane,but I have a build with his decals all over it. ;)

I have no rules and do whatever I want. That said it does look like I have been staying fairly ERA correct, but I'm sure that's just because it looked right, not necessarily intentional.

It seems to me that there are basically two groups, those that strive for accuracy and those that do not. I do not, but more so just try to spark/feed my imagination.

Edited by Dave42

Virgil, usually I don't use the decals supplied in a kit . I generally build a stocker and seldom need race car sponsors or the usually not sized correctly licence plates . When decals wre supplied for an interior or a engine compartment , I will use them . if a car had graphic stripes for an exterior , I have been known to have used them . Outside of that, I give them away. Ed Shaver

Hey Doc, your model, your decals & your call !

How boring would it be if we all built as the pic on the box ?

I've got mine stored in photograph albums, waiting for Junior stock / Gasser / phantom builds as & when I get round to them. A 57 Chevy 'Plum Crazy' f/c done as 'Cop Out'. And 'Cop Out' done purple with Plum Crazy decals ;)

Go for it and do your own thing as you always do. I use my decals whenever and wherever I see fit. I usually don't like putting them on the kit they were intended for so I'll save them to use somewhere else. Besides you make your own rules.

"Rules you don't need no stnkin rules"