Model Cars Magazine Forum

Filling pitting on white metal

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum so apologies if I'm asking a question that has an obvious answer! I've searched the forum and have used google to try to find an answer to my question without success so hopefully you can shed some light for me (which will probably show how I've been searching in the wrong way!)

For a 1:24 scale MFH model with white metal chassis, what is the best way to fill and smooth the small pitting and imperfections in the casting? I'd like to end up with a super clean chassis. Sanding shouldn't be too much of a problem with files and emery/wet and dry cloth but when I need to add material rather than take it away, I'm unsure of the best method or material to use to build the surface up.

Perhaps you could share your advice with a novice? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks for your reply. I've just googled Bondo because I've never heard of it and it looks like its a brand name and isnt one we tend to find in the UK. But I'm sure there must be an identical version over here so I'll do some digging and see if I can find it!

Thanks again

Andy

Ps. Any other suggestions from anyone else would be appreciated in the meantime.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've found some P38 that sounds like it'll do the job. I'll do some experimentation and see how it looks! There's only a tiny amount of filling to do and I'm sure that a gap-filling primer before the etch primer would probably be sufficient but I'm sure I'll need to use filler at some point so now I know the stuff to use - thanks!

If I use filler on the metal, I plan to then sand it smooth, etch-prime, grey prime then white prime (sanding between coats) before going for the top coats.

Just need to decide what paint to buy for the chassis and engine block now!

Thanks again.

Andy

You might also try "green stuff" sold by Games Workshop for their Warhammer minis mixed 50-50 with Milliput, it makes a putty that sticks where you need it and hardens nicely. They're both just 2 part epoxy putties, but they have some different properties. Milliput tends to be too brittle and doesn't stick well. Green stuff sticks great and is flexible, but doesn't sand and file well. A 50-50 mix is perfect. :) Used this to fix the trunk lid on my 48 Chevy that was not-so-pro opened.