Model Cars Magazine Forum

i found whats wrong with your car, its made by dodge.

I've done enough drag racing to know that any car , A, Can be fast, and ,B, can break parts. It has nothing to do with the name on the grille. Badmouthing someones car often leads to watching his tail lights next round.

I remember back years ago in Muscle Car Mag when a Hemi owner said Buicks ran like they were tied to a tree.

A Stage 1 GS put his Road Runner back on the trailer at a mach-up a few issues later.

Edited by Craig Irwin

This all reminds me of a trip to the race track several years ago with my Mopar buddy. Cuda vs Camaro are at the line and my buddy turns to me and says watch this Cuda kick this Chevy's butt. Me being more partial to the Camaro I defended it's honour and supported Chevy's cause. Lights change and off the Camaro goes down the track. I turn and look for the Cuda and it is sitting at the starting line with the drive shaft laying on the ground.

I said to my buddy "Holy ######, you were right! That Cuda was so fast it is already back at the starting line."

We both had a good laugh that day.

look on Youtube at all the Buick Grand Nationals with a turbo V6 just tearing up everything in sight! My buddy and I were riding around in his 9 second 66 Chevelle and we had a white Grand National (may have been a T type?) leave us like were in third gear, reverse! For big sedan like that, they're pretty darn impressive!!!!!!!!!!

look on Youtube at all the Buick Grand Nationals with a turbo V6 just tearing up everything in sight! My buddy and I were riding around in his 9 second 66 Chevelle and we had a white Grand National (may have been a T type?) leave us like were in third gear, reverse! For big sedan like that, they're pretty darn impressive!!!!!!!!!!

I took one of them for a test drive back in 1987 and wow was I impressed. I was glad it had head rests in it otherwise my head would have been in the back seat.

The best race I had with my 69 Camaro was against a 67 Cougar with a blown small block (can't remember the displacement?) The engine I had in my car at the time was nothing special, stock four bolt 350, dual plane intake, Camel Hump heads, Holly 750, full MSD, headers, mild cam. We basically threw the engine together one night with spare parts we had. Trans is a Turbo 350 with a 2800 stall converter. We ran from a dead stop and you could have attached a piece of tape from my front fender to his for the entire run! He never pulled ahead one inch and neither did I!

I took one of them for a test drive back in 1987 and wow was I impressed. I was glad it had head rests in it otherwise my head would have been in the back seat.

I allllmost traded my 69 for a super clean, garage kept GN but the guy ended up trading it for a Nova. I'd give anything for a GNX!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ben

I allllmost traded my 69 for a super clean, garage kept GN but the guy ended up trading it for a Nova. I'd give anything for a GNX!!!!!!!!!

They were really underated back in their day. Everyone was Mustang and Camaro hungry then and thought there was no way a V6 could out power a V8. I wish I had sprung for the one I drove that day. I had a 79 Cutlass to trade in which wouldn't have given me to much on a trade. The GN wasn't new but it had minimal miles on it. May have been a demo car or something like that. Cool think was the salesman told me to tromp on her to get the true feel of the car.

Who am I to argue?

Chrysler actually issued a technical bulliten to all of their factory racers telling them they could lose factory support if they didn't stop the practice of "Neutral drop" launches. Double D is right about the sprag failure too, that is why you can now get a bolt in sprag conversion to replace the factory press fit sprag. the Torqueflight transmission is a tough piece, imagine what the damage would be like if it were a Powerglide, C4, or Turbo 350.

Chrysler didn't stop drag racers from doing neutral starts, NHRA did...after a spectator was blinded by flying shrapnel from one. At one national meet, "no neutral starts" signs were placed at the base of the Christmas Tree starting lights. The Chrysler guys were caught by surprise; Chrysler had been sending truckloads of prepped Torqueflites to replace broken ones as needed...

from the infamous Buick GS/Hemi shootout i think we got what is now the "pure stock" drags, which are anything but "pure stock".

it's absolutely amazing the 1/4 mile times these guys are squeezing out of those cars, but to call them stock is a joke.

If thats the one I'm thinking about, it remined me of all the people with more money then brains. Why would you build a hemi for a "pure stock" class in racing and then talk a bunch of smack....If I remember right, there were plenty of small blocks that would leave that big thing setting on the curb out of the box back in the day.

If thats the one I'm thinking about, it remined me of all the people with more money then brains. Why would you build a hemi for a "pure stock" class in racing and then talk a bunch of smack....If I remember right, there were plenty of small blocks that would leave that big thing setting on the curb out of the box back in the day.

Indeed, some smallblocks can easily make the power (or more than) a bigblock can.

Edited by Andy C.

modern technology today makes it possible for not only a small block to produce HP numbers above that of big blocks but also in many cases 4 and 6cylinder engines too. my stock 4cyl. Subaru WRX ran mid-14 1/4 mile times, something that some musclecars back in the day struggled to do, with much more engine.

That's also when cars were made of steel and not plastic.

And they have so much power they can't get traction >:D

Edited by Andy C.

most modern "muscle" easily weighs just as much as if not more than many old school musclecars did. again, technology has come a long way and the tire and traction problems of the 60's and 70's arent much of an issue today. we now have drag radials that are stickier than the full on drag slicks were then. however, if you look into the pure stock drags you will note that these guys are not running drag slicks, but period correct reproduction bias-plies and running incredibly fast 1/4 mile times on them. the pure stock drags take "tuning" to a level you can't imagine and that's what is amazing about it.

i love old school muscle and old cars for that matter, but i don't even try to pretend they are something they never were.

I don't mean modern MUSCLE...I mean the imports with the lighter 4-bangers, all that.