Model Cars Magazine Forum

Working with Duplicolor Chrome spray

Just sprayed some parts with Duplicolor Chrome .

It looks an exact match to testors bottle chrome silver , but in a very nice spray...very nice I must say !

My question is , should I seal it ?

my preliminary experiments show it taking fingerprints on very easily.

I also tried some spray clears over it and it turned to a grey'd down aluminum...

is there a way to clear/protect this stuff and retain the beautiful chrome-like sheen ?

the finish seems easily lost thru handling

future maybe? whats everyone's experience with it ?

so far, it has the best chrome-like spray I've ever found in a consumer spray can

Edited by scalenut

Maybe I'm missing something. When you say "It looks an exact match to testors bottle chrome silver, but in a very nice spray", I wonder why you'd thnk that's particularly noteworthy. Testors chrome silver is a poor match for chrome except when you're detailing very small things like some of the buttons you'd find on a dashboard.

A couple months ago, another modeler posted pictures of parts painted with Ace Hardware's Chrome spray. I probably wouldn't use it for bumpers, but it looks kinda like polished aluminum.

Monty,it's not a replacement for chrome, no doubt , but it has a beautiful highly polished aluminum (or even stainless steel ) finish,, as shiny as you could get high polished aluminum. from a $3.00 consumer spray can.

it's the closest thing I have found to an "almost " there shine !

I like what I'm getting from it , but is there a way to make it less fragile and fingerprint prone, and still retain the finish from the can ?

even putting tamiya tape on it screws the shine up

it seems like it's one of those great use metallic finishes , that can't be cleared or touched without loosing it.

it sprays like butter, very liquid smooth ..if that makes sense !

Edited by scalenut

I've found that any sort of clear, wax, etc......will dull the shine and make it look more like aluminum than chrome.

However, I've also discovered that if your (properly prepped & primed) parts are sprayed with a good even wet coat, set aside for at least 5 days before handling (a week is better) that the shiny finish holds up pretty well.

Apparently the paint takes a while to completely gas out....if you can deal with the wait, the results come as close to chrome as I've come across in a rattle can.

Hmmm, Allclad Chrome requires a gloss black undercoat for maximum effect. I wonder if that would work with this stuff if you decanted the paint, reduced it slightly and airbrushed it.

Andy, if you wouldn't mind, post up your pics of the painted parts after you've followed Don's instructions. It never hurts to have another good paint source.

I sprayed some parts over gloss black and have them curing .

The paint instantly covered the black , I don't think the black undercoat is making a difference.

The duplicolor goes on solid, unlike the alclad

I also covered a couple "chromed" parts with future, it knocked the gloss down , very slightly.

after curing overnight ,I touched some Tamiya tape to the Future'd parts and it flaked right off.

The chrome stayed intact.

I'll post some pics later, I'm just playing around a bit.

so far I don't see this as a replacement for alclad.

I'll try the decanting idea tomorrow, I happen to have some testors enamel thinner on the way so I will try that,

I also have some lacquer thinner I can use

Edited by scalenut

I use the duplicolor chrome spray paint it works really good. What I learned if the part you are painting is nice and smooth. It will have a higher shine to it. So what I do I prep all my parts the best I can then I spray clear coat straight on the parts. If the clear is nice and shiny and smooth that what you want. I let it set up for 2-3 days then clean with wax and grease remover. Then spray the chrome paint. You will see a difference in shine. Hope this helps. ALOHA