Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Year's Resolution

I've been wasting way too much time chasing after people to post their full, real name. Either use your real name as your screen name, post your real name under your avatar, or in the signature line that appears in every post you make. Any of those three options is ok.

Posting your real, full name is a forum rule (No, it's not my rule, I don't make the rules here. It's a forum rule that was in place long before I got here).

Anyway... I'm getting really tired of practically having to beg so many of you to simply follow the rules of the forum. I've sent out literally hundreds of requests to members asking them to post their real, full name. The good news is, about 99% of you have complied.

It's that other 1% that's been the problem. Not only do they refuse to tell us their real name, they have all sorts of nasty comebacks, as if I was asking them to give me a kidney or something.

So from now on, it's three strikes and your out. If I send you a PM asking you to post your real name, and you keep ignoring them, I'll lock your posting privileges. Asking you to follow the rules of the forum is not an unreasonable request. If for some reason you think that if the rest of us knowing your real name is some sort of an "invasion of privacy" or whatever... fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But if that's how you feel, you can't post here. It's just that simple. If you don't like our rules (or refuse to follow them), you can't post here.

You can be mad at me, or whatever... but the rules apply to all of us.

Well, it's a stupid rule. But I figured my pride meant less to me than learning from the many wonderful model builders this site gives me access to. My new year's resolution is to finish some of the handful of models I'm 90% done with. And to maybe one day actually post a picture of two of mine for everyone else to see. But here I am, 36 years old and I've never owned a computer so that may prove difficult. How am I here now you may ask yourself. -The computer in my office. :rolleyes:

Like I said... you can think all the rules are stupid. I'm not telling you that you have to like them.

I'm telling you that if you want to take part here, you have to follow them.

And if you don't want to follow them, that's ok, too. But if so, you can't post here.

Bob, I don't think it's "too much to ask". It's just an unnecessary request. We're talking model cars here. Why would anyone give a hoot what my name is or who I am? So it's going to rub people the wrong way when you get an email that says, hey tell me your name right now or you have to leave. At that point you have to ask yourself what is more important to you. I decided I wanted to stay a member.

I don't see why people think it's such a big deal to put their real name on here. This rule should be enforced at all times,not at the beginning of the first of the year. I say send them a PM,give them a week and if they have not complied, suspend their posting AND viewing privileges until they do comply.

I don't see why people think it's such a big deal to put their real name on here. This rule should be enforced at all times,not at the beginning of the first of the year.

Did you read my first post?

I have been trying to enforce the rule. I've sent out the same message to HUNDREDS of people over the years. HUNDREDS.

The point of my post was that I'm tired of begging people to follow the rules here. No more Mr. Nice Guy with second chance after second chance.

I just want to put it out there so everyone knows.

Bob, I don't think it's "too much to ask". It's just an unnecessary request.

It certainly isn't too much to ask, and I wouldn't call it an 'unnecessary request,' as it was part of the board rules before you signed up. Gregg makes the rules, as it's his sandbox, and those of us who choose to participate agree to abide.

If we're just talking model cars, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

I agree, people really do need to READ AND AGREE to the rules before hitting the button....

I've moderated on a very small site before, and it DEFINITELY isn't easy. At all. Plus when you combine my patience with ignorant people, it just doesn't work.

Edited by Andy C.

I've complied to this rule ,yet it still baffles me. I cannot see the Benefit in providing a name.

Any valid Benefit would suffice.

Don't want to go down the Childish ...... "if ye don't like it ..get outa my sand box".

Just a matural question......W H Y ?

When i provided mine , I ended up having to provide an explanition of it's origins.

Hence ,my orignal reason for using a "Username". EVERYWHERE else. ( 6 other modelling forums and 12 Automotive Forums)

Edited by Boreham

It certainly isn't too much to ask, and I wouldn't call it an 'unnecessary request,' as it was part of the board rules before you signed up. Gregg makes the rules, as it's his sandbox, and those of us who choose to participate agree to abide.

If we're just talking model cars, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Did I ever say otherwise? Harry sent me the email. I rolled my eyes. I asked him why this was the rule. He gave me a answer. Thus, I put my name on there per the rules. But I have as much a right to the opinion that it's a stupid rule as someone to have the opinion that it isn't too much to ask. The bottom line is I decided to follow the rule.

I've complied to this rule ,yet it still baffles me. I cannot see the Benefit in providing a name.

Any valid Benefit would suffice.

Gregg feels that if we all know each other's names, we're more of a "family" and not just a bunch of anonymous people hiding behind a screen name. He feels that this is a friendlier place if we can all address each other by our names, like friends do, not as strangers (even though most of us technically are strangers in the real world away from this forum).

And I agree with that idea.

So there you go... the reason behind the rule.

Did I ever say otherwise? Harry sent me the email. I rolled my eyes. I asked him why this was the rule. He gave me a answer. Thus, I put my name on there per the rules.

I don't see your name... :huh:

I have as much a right to the opinion that it's a stupid rule as someone to have the opinion that it isn't too much to ask. The bottom line is I decided to follow the rule.

I couldn't agree more, everyone is entitled to their own opinions; it's good to know you've decided to stay on, and I'm looking forward to seeing the kind of stuff you build.

Gregg feels that if we all know each other's names, we're more of a "family" and not just a bunch of anonymous people hiding behind a screen name. He feels that this is a friendlier place if we can all address each other by our names, like friends do, not as strangers (even though most of us technically are strangers in the real world away from this forum).

And I agree with that idea.

So there you go... the reason behind the rule.

Indeed....I always like being called Andy so that's why I change my username :lol:

I don't mean to sound contrary..............but since when are initials a full name??

Kinda hard to hide who I am...........I've been all over the model mags in years past, and I'm hard to miss if you see me at a show! :D

Everyone knows who "Mr. Obsessive" is! :lol:

You're a model car rock star, Bill! :D

Everyone knows who "Mr. Obsessive" is! :lol:

You're a model car rock star, Bill! :D

:D :D Now if I can get the hood situation straightened out on the 442, I'll be all set! I do have another model in the pipeline that I haven't posted yet. I may tease it down the road as I do have the engine done on it. ;)

I see no problem with giving my real name.

In fact, I feel more comfortable when people call me by my given name, instead of my faceless screen name. This is also why my facebook is also linked in my profile info, if someone wants to keep up outside of MCM.

Some of you act like a bunch of paranoid freaks, I swear!

I'm as paranoid as the next guy, but that's why my 9mm is always within reasonable reach of my trigger hand. A name is a name is a name. It's the rules, follow 'em or get locked out.

......at least he's not asking for your SSN!