Model Cars Magazine Forum

To sand or not to sand, Help...

To all modeling experts out there,

Do you have to sand "very minor" imperfection, i.e.: orange peel on the base coat (color coat) before applying clear coats?

or just shoot the clear coats over it and sand it down and buff after that?

I am using rattle can lacquer base spray paint, decanted and then airbrush onto the model.

Your answer is greatly appreciated. Thanks

A finish coat is only as smooth and glasslike as it's basecoat . Take it up to 12000 under cold running water , lightly sanding , taking care not to burn through on the high points and edges .

Now , you are ready to lay down that mirrored glass shine with your clear !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When you guys sand and go progressively finer, do you lay another coat of paint in between each sand? That would seem a little silly but thought I would ask anyway. I'm just at the beginning stages of my new model so I'm about ready to start the sanding process. I have 320-12000 grit.

no you dont... when i prep the body for first primer i start with 400 and work up to 1000... then primer, then lightly sand with 3000 prior to paint and after each coat of paint i use 2500 to level out the paint... same as with the clear coat... on the last coat of clear i use 8000 up to 12000 then use the rubbing compound to bring out the shine... then i use either wax or polish to deepen the shine...

hope that helps you out

stu

Edited by stulee11