Model Cars Magazine Forum

Callin' It "DONE" Another first build in years....Revell Kenworth (snap)

• 1 month later...

Got the body work done on the cab,didn't like the mounting tabs on the back of the sleeper,so filled them in and the mirror mounting?!?!?!!? really???,one bar goes on the door and the upper on the cab???...did a re-drill n fill for that :)

072-1.jpg

071-1.jpg

073-1.jpg

Not happy with the color,much darker than the cap on the can :huh:

070-1.jpg

069-1.jpg

Maaaaaaan!!!!!,can tell I haven't painted for awhile,got a couple of booger sags :angry:

0702.jpg

Didn't like the snap tab on the step and wasn't quite sure how to fix it so I tried to make it look like a marker lamp......Comments,Ideas,or suggestions always welcome!

Ben kindly pointed out that I should remove the mold line from the exhaust,and how it got past me,but anyways I am glad he did,looks much better.

This is the wonderful (maddening?) thing about pictures. You will see things in them that you will miss looking at the subject itself.... This is looking good, I look forward to seeing it completed!

..................And this one is for Ben!!!,thanks again for the heads up!!!! :D

0692.jpg

Ben kindly pointed out that I should remove the mold line from the exhaust,and how it got past me,but anyways I am glad he did,looks much better.

Awesome, looks much better!

This is the wonderful (maddening?) thing about pictures. You will see things in them that you will miss looking at the subject itself.... This is looking good, I look forward to seeing it completed!

Ain't that the truth,didn't even notice it at the time...

I had to go back,and look to see what Ben was talking about. Ben nice catch on the line on the pipe. Very nice detail work on the motor,and outstanding paint job.

Yeah I was quite pleased when Ben brought it to my attention because my luck I would not have noticed until it was done.....if that ever happens,had to strip the hood today <_<

As the modified post says "help",I need your opinion on the paint scheme I have done,to stripe or not to stripe?.....I put the second color on the Kenny and the mask line came out straight and clean so the separation stripe isn't really needed.....Thanks for your opinions.

037-2.jpg

Without

035-2.jpg

With

Thanks again....

Wow! That did come put really clean. What tape did you use?

I'm wondering how it would look with a contrasting seperation stripe, like gold or silver.

I used Tamiya masking tape,and to be honest I have never had a line come out that clean for me,that kinda why I don't want to stripe it,I did try silver and thought it stood out to much.....gold?...Hmmmmmm maybe...........................

A pin stripe usually makes the color transition look more... gentle, I guess that's the word I want... It's an attention getter that adds to the effect. I'd say try a red stripe like in the second picture... that's pretty pleasing to the eye. I do like that color combo!

Edited by Wagoneer81

I had to go back,and look to see what Ben was talking about. Ben nice catch on the line on the pipe. Very nice detail work on the motor,and outstanding paint job.

I still feel bad mentioning it but he had done such a nice job so far, I just thought it would be shame to leave that seam there.

Hey Mike, Microscale Industries makes pinstriping decals in all kinds of colors in several widths. They're real thin and if you clear over them they blend right in with the paint.

Ben,thanks,I will check that out and see if I can find a color that works with it.

I still feel bad mentioning it but he had done such a nice job so far, I just thought it would be shame to leave that seam there.

Ben,don't feel bad about it at all,honestly I am glad you did besides in my post I put "Comments,Ideas,or suggestions always welcome",cuz how else am I gonna learn or as in this case know about something tha I over looked.....besides the way you stated it was very constructive and in no way could have been taken differently...was a true class act of helping another model builder.

....Got just a lil' more done on the Kenworth....vety little :huh: Need to take tips from Baby Girl,Also like to thank Anthony Oteri for heads up on "Sophisticated Finishes" for the "Rust" tip!!!.....as always comments welcomed,good,bad,indifferent ;)

018-2.jpg

025-3.jpg

Hi Mike,

I've been out of truck modeling for 30+ years, so I'm pretty much a noob again when it comes to materials being used. What material are you using for the carpeting on your models floor? Keep up the great work, your KW looks fantastic. I remember 30+ years ago I didn't even consider a snap kit, but now after viewing your work, you have changed my opinion on snap kits. ;) You've also changed my opinion on rattle cans as well, that paint job is top notch.

Edited by Rich_S

Hi Mike,

I've been out of truck modeling for 30+ years, so I'm pretty much a noob again when it comes to materials being used. What material are you using for the carpeting on your models floor? Keep up the great work, your KW looks fantastic. I remember 30+ years ago I didn't even consider a snap kit, but now after viewing your work, you have changed my opinion on snap kits. ;) You've also changed my opinion on rattle cans as well, that paint job is top notch.

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the positive comments!!!!,I just got back into the hobby this year after a 15yr+ leave,for the carpet I used flocking powder from Michaels,a tip I learned from this forum.....I am actually impressed with this kit as a snap kit,because I wouldn't have given it a second look until I seen what the members here have done with it,and I LOVE the Testors lacquers,again when I was in the hobby before I hated rattle cans too,looks like my air brush won't get the use it did then ...

Rich,trust me you will learn sooooooooooooo much from the other members here,I know I have ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly getting this Kenny done.......

113.jpg

116.jpg

Trimmed the rear fenders down,me personally i like them without the extensions

123.jpg

Rear shot,nothing special..

126.jpg

A little bit of grime on the frame..

122.jpg

I had a problem with the mounting pins on the headlamps and fogs,so I trimmed off the pin and BMF the backs to get rid of that "eye pupil"look,and the small markers mounted to the headlamp bezel instead being mounted on the fender above the headlamps...she ain't nothin' fancy but so far I am happy with the results,gotta get the trim done to the cab,that is the part I hate,the trim around the glass :unsure: .....suggestions,comments good,bad,ugly,or otherwise always welcome ........

Edited by Badluck 13

OOOooops....Looking at my own posting the other day I noticed something that just didn't look right,the rear mud flaps 123.jpg I noticed the flaps was molded to the bracket a little too much.. 012-2.jpg013-6.jpg After...trimmed off the excess plastic to make the flap "free" looking...I know it still isn't a 100% right still but better,I just didn't want to tear the frame all back down to redo the rear lamp panel but I will know on the next Kenny.....Also I noticed on the front bumper I didn't black out the square holes and also the "hinges" on the grille for the hood

Edited by Badluck 13