Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plug Wires...HELP!

Don't do it...........there is a better and still very cheap way to do this. Go to a Micheal's or A.C. Moore and go to the Jewelery making section. You will find little packages of different colored wire used for making kids jewelery. I am trying to remember exactly, but you get around 12 rolls, each a different color in a pack. They are the right size for plug wires. Granted, they are not the best solution, but they look pretty good. They have a metallic look to them which works very well on a custom car installation. Also, you can go to Radio Shack and get, blue, red and white "wrapping" wire rolls, also very inexpensive as compared to the model car specialty sellers. Please, skip the wire twist ties idea, they will look out of place. Invest a few dollars and make it look a lot better.

I make boots from the insulation on telephone wire. Comes in 4 colors - red, black, yellow, green.

Plug wires I buy from Scale Dreams.

like jim said, telephone wire is great for the boots. any dollar store should have some...or keep an eye out for the telephone guy. (do they even exist anymore?)

ethernet cable maoght work, but might be harder to comeby. if you see a cable/internet installer in your area, ask him if he has a small piece of ethernet cable (rj45 or cat5, i believe).

If you can find a telephone guy working on overhead wires, ask him/her for the wire they are replacing. I found out they can't reuse the wire they were replacing and got about 10ft of cable with probably a hundred wires in it for nothing. Multiple wire colors and more than a lifetime for me.

Yeah phone wire is the best for the boots. You will have to enlarge the hole a bit to get the 30 gauge wire thru it. Btw, an easy way to do the sparkplug boots is to drill phone wire sized holes thru the heads ( before they are glued to the block ) then stick the phone wire thru the holes and glue then from the inside. Then bring the wire thru the holes after. That way, if you cut them too long , just slide them thru the boots until it looks right.