Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Downdraft Paint Booth Finished

First started with a good blower, 273 CFM bought from acklands grainger $90.00

001.jpg

2nd bought $35.00 of plywood could have made it 15.00 cheaper if i had used MDF but it would have been to heavy

002.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

011.jpg

009.jpg

Finally the finished product,i ran out of aluminum duct tape so had to finish with the handy mans special duct tape will buy more of the proper tape when i make it back to hardware store to get solid piece of duct work , don't like the plastic dryer type that i bought

019.jpg

Looks nice and I like the pegboard idea, could come in handy when painting something that could be hung. Will be interesting to hear your take on how it performs.

As far as lighting, I am with Doc, get some lights that give you the proper illumination so you can see what you are doing.

Well i just sprayed my gmc wrecker and i am very pleased :) at how well it worked ,also this will keep momma happy as there is no smoking in the house but i usually do when i am in basement all i have to do is turn it on a bam no smoke or smell , yaaaa killed 2 birds with one stone

looks very nice

i have a backdraft myself but am thinking of changing over to a downdraft, just because i always seem to be spraying at the very front of the booth

as for lights, the top of my booth is flakeboard with a square hole cut into it

the hole is just as big as the light fixture from my old aqarium and it has a larger sheet of clear plastic screwed underneath it

Nice job,

I hope that your fan being over in the rear corner and with a horizontal intake ( not really a downdraft) can draw spray from the far sides of the inner booth.

I would have placed the intake in the center back.

You will get better efficiency of removing overspray by placing narow baffles around the face of your opening.

3" - 4" strips of wood framed around the face will prevent overspray from rolling out of the booth.

Incoming air will be focused into the center of the box and any overspray attempting to roll out will be forced back in by the incoming air.

The upper baffle will also serve as a shade from lights installed in the roof of the booth.

Holding your pieces over on the left side of the booth as you spray will be the best way to allow overspray to go directly into the fan.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

cadillac pat i thought about putting it in the center but with the 1/2 flange that goes around the air exit the blower wouldn't sit flush against back wall,,,and i was worried about not drawing all the fumes and paint away from front so when it was done this afternoon i sprayed my 77 wrecker, i placed it right at the front and with me spraying 4-5 inches from body the fan did a great job and sucked all fumes away so i know now that with it in the back corner it draws from the front with no problem

now with the baffles do you mean just like a 1x2 around the whole perimater?

My only thought is that with the bare wood, that's going to attract major dust and paint buildup over time.

Any way to cover it with the white formica thin sheets, or veneer?

I had that problem with mine, added the thin veneer and it wipes clean after use.

Or does someone else have ideas?

For my old metal one, I would love to have white powder coated, but don't know if can wipe powder coat down with lacquer thinner

Daryl, I like the way this one turned out.