Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is this what passes for Pro Built?

pro is short for professional .. or a persons profession ,, aka job... if your job is building model cars .. your models are "pro built"

If that is the standard, then McDonalds Burgers are Professionally made. I prefer the term "Expertly made" or "Built by a highly skilled craftsman" Just because something is your profession doesn't mean you are any good at it.

1231 + customers in 12 months (3719) Total with one negative. If the people buying are happy and he is happy what exactly is this even about .

I am the new kid on the block so have I missed something here ? He shows clear pictures of what hes selling and his customers buy it and are

happy with the product they receive . If I can sell you a blank CD that says PRO FRISBEE CD on it with a sharpie and you buy it and are happy

with the purchase then what is the problem ? What this guy is doing is called free enterprise , well at least I thought it was.

If you were going to sell something, would you label it as "sub-par" or "Average"? Didn't think so.

If it is, I do.

Recently sold a car on Ebay, a right old heap. Made it absolutely clear that it's total rubbish and that any potential buyer must be not right in his mind. I had 12000 watchers, the ad was on hundreds of car forums all over the web and I was bombarded with funny questions. The whole thing was so successful that I will never ever again advertise anything as being not total rubbish.

Based on this, and many other comments in this topic, many of you seem to hold yourselves in much higher regard than this self-proclaimed "Kingofmodelcars". What comes after "pro-built" - Expert built? God-like building?

Give it a rest...

Not sure what you are trying to read into my post, but you sure didn't get it.

All I'm saying is there is a lot of awfully critical comments about this ebay auction, the builder, the build itself, and so on, Which, if that was posted here instead of at an auction site - there would be NONE of this talk - only "good job! Great Effort". Hypocrisy is abundant.

LOL, you got a point there.

Still, trying to qualify what is nothing more than a built kit off as something extraordinary is a tad shifty.

I'm fully aware that the often used term 'pro-built' has no real meaning, but there are models on Ebay labelled as 'pro-built' which are indeed superb and usually the builder's name is mentioned.

in this case, because you hyphenated "pro" i think it changes the meaning to being for or supporting something. in your case with the examples you posted it would make you "for" burials or "for" and in favor of cremations, just like being pro-choice. as a funeral director i would certainly hope that you were for either of those options as opposed to say, leaving the body in the freezer or stashed in the trunk of the car.

It depends, sometimes I'm pretty anti-burial and anti-cremation. For example, if work comes in on a Friday late afternoon, I tend to put it on ice until Monday morning.

It depends, sometimes I'm pretty anti-burial and anti-cremation. For example, if work comes in on a Friday late afternoon, I tend to put it on ice until Monday morning.

If I didn't know better I would swear you were a guy named Bruce Kitchens a friend of mine and a Funeral Director . Please tell

me you don't have that undertaker laugh I tell him he has :)

If I didn't know better I would swear you were a guy named Bruce Kitchens a friend of mine and a Funeral Director . Please tell

me you don't have that undertaker laugh I tell him he has :)

I guess in this pro-fession we all develop the same sense of humour after a while. We need it just to cope I think.

But what is an 'undertaker laugh'?

I guess in this pro-fession we all develop the same sense of humour after a while. We need it just to cope I think.

But what is an 'undertaker laugh'?

Christian I pick at my friend in your line of work about his deep drawn out laugh . That man has helped more families

then I could possible count , after 40 years of work in the same profession as yourself . I have always wondered how people like

Bruce and yourself don't go CRAZY . I have always admired Bruce and the way he takes care of families at some of there

most trying times. I really believe people like Bruce and yourself have a gift ,and my hats off to you .

I guess not. Sorry to have lumped you in with the rest of the people who commented here...

All I'm saying is there is a lot of awfully critical comments about this ebay auction, the builder, the build itself, and so on, Which, if that was posted here instead of at an auction site - there would be NONE of this talk - only "good job! Great Effort". Hypocrisy is abundant.

You have the wrong idea sir. I mean, it's a nice model and all, but you can't call it "Pro Built" when there's not a single drop of paint on the model!

Not so fast.

There's a big difference between trying to sell so-called "pro built" models on ebay and posting photos of your work here.

People who post photos here are not asking for any money.

I don't see any hypocrisy... it's two completely different situations.

(and I don't think anyone here has ever claimed that the work they posted was "pro built.")

Not so fast.

There's a big difference between trying to sell so-called "pro built" models on ebay and posting photos of your work here.

People who post photos here are not asking for any money.

I don't see any hypocrisy... it's two completely different situations.

Ditto. And you really can't compare models when that one has no paint on it...

you really should just stop typing most times or refrain from opening your "virtual" mouth. a model does not have to be painted to have been built by a professional. my guess here is that you've never seen a Gerald Wingrove model and probably don't have a clue even as to who he was or what he did.

If it makes you feel better, I've heard of him.

I guess not. Sorry to have lumped you in with the rest of the people who commented here...

If the model was posted, with a humble, "this is my model, what do you guys think?" yes he would get positive attention, and gentle critizism. If the same model was posted, with the modeler bragging how he is a "professional modeler, and how gret his model is." it wouldn't go quite as well. A while back we had a very talented modeler who couldn't keep his ego in check, and he became quite un-popular. The issue is the claim that this model is better than it actually is.

no, but we did have a very young and unskilled builder here who did claim, at least by his username that he was the "Master Modeller" :rolleyes:

master, pro.................................................

If a person was on the debate team in HS and they were really good at it, would they be a "Master Debater?"

:lol: