Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wet Sand Metallic Colors?

If you wet sand metallics you will disturb the top surface of flakes and it will look terrible when you clear coat it. The only way to wet sand ANY paint that isnt a solid color and have it look good in the end is to put a few coats of clear over it and wet sand the clear. The same theory applies to polishing without sanding. You`ll just end up with a crappy looking paint job.

If your not sure what I mean paint a test piece with a Metallic, wet sand it and then put a coat of clear over it or polish it.

It is true that you can't sand the Model Masters laquer metallics, BUT, you can sand the Testors enamel metallics before you clear coat. For some reason,sanding doesn't effect the enamels like it does the laquers.

Actually, I have had very good results from polishing all my metallic paint jobs, even the new Testors' ones.

Sanding has been hit and miss, I usually start with the #12,000, and then go from there.

post-3-0-20168200-1327432522_thumb.jpg

Go from there where, Gregg? I thought 12,000 was the highest grade of polishing cloth?

Sorry, should have been more clear...

If #12,000 don't work, then go DOWN to #8,000, then back up to #12,000. If that don't work, go DOWN to #6,000, then back up.

Sorry...

MEDS.....

And yes, I know, that green is the wrong color...

The misinformation needs to stop !

Yes ! , you can sand and polish metallics and pearls ! As long as you sand the body overall , you will not have a difference in color or depth going panel to panel . Sanding or rubbing in one spot will , however , leave a very discernible mark in the paint .

Example ... A small piece of debris leaves a mark on the roof of your body . Start with 4000 and wet sand the entire roof , lightly , very little pressure , under cold running water . If the spot doesn't disappear , step down to 3200 . Once the debris disappears , work your way back up to 12000 . Do the same to the rest of the body , this will guarantee that your finish will be uniform overall !

Clearing over flaws such as debris or orange peal only make the condition more obvious ! The smoother that the surface to be painted or cleared is guarantees a mirror like finish each and every time . Overall wet sanding of your body before clearing will help you achieve this goal , be it standard , metallic , or pearl paint .

The misinformation needs to stop !

Yes ! , you can sand and polish metallics and pearls ! As long as you sand the body overall , you will not have a difference in color or depth going panel to panel . Sanding or rubbing in one spot will , however , leave a very discernible mark in the paint .

Example ... A small piece of debris leaves a mark on the roof of your body . Start with 4000 and wet sand the entire roof , lightly , very little pressure , under cold running water . If the spot doesn't disappear , step down to 3200 . Once the debris disappears , work your way back up to 12000 . Do the same to the rest of the body , this will guarantee that your finish will be uniform overall !

Clearing over flaws such as debris or orange peal only make the condition more obvious ! The smoother that the surface to be painted or cleared is guarantees a mirror like finish each and every time . Overall wet sanding of your body before clearing will help you achieve this goal , be it standard , metallic , or pearl paint .

THATS IT !!!!!!!

The best advice I can give you Lukee is take two plastic spoons and spray both with your Fathom Green. Sand one and clear it and don't sand the other one and clear it. Hold both of them under good lighting and see which one looks better to you. ;)